Wildcats invited to NCAA tourney for first time since 1976-77 season

MARCH 11, 1985 – The University of Arizona Wildcats received their first NCAA basketball tournament bid since the 1976-77 season, it was announced yesterday in Kansas City.

The Wildcats are seeded 10th in the West Region and play their first game against Alabama on Friday night in Albuquerque, N.M.

If the Wildcats, 21-9, beat Alabama, 21-9, they play the winner of the Virginia Commonwealth-Marshall match-up on Sunday, also in Albuquerque.

St. John’s is the top seed in the West Region.

“”I am very excited,”” said UA head coach Lute Olson following the announcement. “”To me, the fan following can have such a lot of effect.””

One of the main reasons it seems the committee kept the Wildcats in the West, and in Albuquerque, is the UA’s enthusiastic support.

The Wildcats were one of the last teams selected by the committee, Olson said.

Three of other Pac-10 teams were selected for the tournament. Washington, 22-9, plays Kentucky, 16-12, in the West Regional in Salt Lake City on Friday. Oregon State, 22-8, plays Notre Dame, 20-8, at South Bend Ind., on Thursday in the Southeast regional first-round game. USC, 19-9, plays Illinois State, 21-7, Thursday in Tulsa, Okla., in a Midwest first-round game.

“”Even though we’re the fourth team in the Pac-10, we got the best situation,”” said UA senior guard Brock Brunkhorst.

He said the fact that the Wildcats have already played once in Albuquerque this season, a Dec. 21 loss to New Mexico, will help UA.

Another advantage, Brunkhorst said, is that Albuquerque fans will probably cheer for the UA because the Wildcats are former members of the Western Athletic Conference, along with the hometown University of New Mexico.

An undisclosed number of tickets for Friday’s game go on sale tomorrow at the McKale Center box office, said Butch Henry, UA sports information director.

Wildcat members can get their tickets from 8 a.m. to noon. Sales to the general public begin at noon.

Tickets are $9 and $8.