Campus ‘Cats: Michael Brouse

What do you think the turnout of the election will be?

The turnout of the election I think is going to be basically that Barack Obama wins. I cannot see this country voting in another Republican in office after eight years of failed policy, still in an endless war and after our economy has collapsed on itself. Everyone is feeling the crunch of these economic times. Even my father, who has been a registered Republican since the 1960s and has never voted for a Democrat in his life, is voting for Barack Obama today.

Do you predict that McCain will win the state of Arizona?

Well, just the fact that McCain is barely winning Arizona by three points as of today, kind of just shows me that if McCain can’t even hold his own state in a huge margin, I don’t see how McCain can win the country or even Arizona.

What political issue are you most concerned about on the Arizona ballot?

The most important issue for me on the Arizona ballot is Proposition 102. I think that a “”yes”” vote basically is writing discrimination and bigotry back into the constitution. I don’t think it’s up to the government to decide who people can love and who people can legally marry. It has to do with letting people have legal rights, have kids, a family and be with the one they love.

What issue are you most concerned with on a national level?

One of the most important issues to me on the national level is definitely the economy, because my father lost a lot of money in his 401(k) in the past two weeks. My father is 57 years old and he wants to retire soon, and if he doesn’t have the money to retire he is going to have to work even longer. These are people’s lives that are being affected. Health care reform is also very important to me, because my mom has had serious health problems. It is important to look at these issues on both sides and make an informed decision.

– Kelsey Ahlmark