The Miss Native American Pageant returns to campus to crown next ambassador

%09PHOTO+courtesy+of+Roxanne+Hunter+%0A%0A%09Roxanne+Hunter%2C+an+anthropology+junior%2C+was+crowned+Miss+Native+American+UA.+

PHOTO courtesy of Roxanne Hunter

Roxanne Hunter, an anthropology junior, was crowned Miss Native American UA.

The Miss Native American University of Arizona Pageant will return to campus on Oct. 20, 2018. Ingrique Salt, the event organizer, works with the American Indian Alumni Club and Miss Native American UA to bring individuals and families together in an annual pageant that celebrates community, tradition and culture.

“Whether its a tribal community or the campus community, we need to think about the different walks of life we come from and support one another,” Salt said. 

Miss Native American is an ambassador for issues including missing native women and fulfills the roles of a healer, educator and philosopher. 

Earning the title means being an individual who is willing to cross boundaries and accept the challenge to move forward with allies, according to Salt. Knowing where you come from, being informed and willing to take initiative and build relationships be it with another human being, an organization or an idea, is another aspect Salt added. 

Event sponsors include the Office for Diversity and Inclusive Excellence, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Associated Students of the University of Arizona, Indigenous Tohono O’odham Student Association, Tucson Indian Center, Josie’s House of Flowers and Chris Juan Photography.

The Miss Native American UA Pageant will take place Saturday, Oct. 20, from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. at the Grand Ballroom in the Student Union Memorial Center.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter