Top 5 picks

Hollywood’s major releases are a bit mediocre this weekend, with soon-to-be duds like “”Catch and Release”” and “”Smokin’ Aces”” hitting screens. Check out these critically acclaimed films, and you’ll be able to laugh at your friends who saw “”Epic Movie.””

“”Little Children””

Kate Winslet was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in this film. While “”Little Children”” does tell the story of suburban couples and families, don’t expect the usual clichǸd coming-of-age flick. Playing only at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

“”Volver””

PenǸlope Cruz, nominated for the Best Actress Oscar, stars in this Spanish-language film. “”Volver”” tells the story of two sisters and the struggles of their family life. Playing only at Century 20 El Con, 3601 E. Broadway Blvd.

“”Notes on a Scandal””

Judi Dench is another Best Actress nominee in another great film. Dench and Cate Blanchett (Best Supporting Actress nominee) play teachers who get into a whole mess of trouble involving scandalous student relationships.

Pan’s Labyrinth””

Looking for a more creative Academy Award nominee? This film is your best bet. “”Pan’s Labyrinth”” contains frightening scenes filled with images of fantasy and horror that have made critics rave.

“”Blood and Chocolate””

This one will likely not end up being your favorite thriller of all time, but it might just make for an entertaining Saturday night flick. If you’re in the mood for love, murder and a werewolf, this is your movie.

– compiled by Patrick Valenzuela