New study spot in sight: Heyy~Tea the new bubble tea shop near by UA

The Okinawa milk tea with boba at Heyy~Tea. 
Allison Fagan

Heyy~Tea, a bubble tea shop, opened its doors to Tucson in September. With a variety of tea and food options, Heyy~Tea is on its way to become a fan favorite among students. 

Sequestered at 1031 N. Park Ave., Heyy~Tea provides a cozy study spot for students to complete their assignments or to just hang out with friends.

Kaijie Yang and Yu Ren are spouses who founded Heyy~Tea together. Their romance blossomed at the University of Arizona campus. 

“A few days after I came to Tucson I met him,” Yang reminisced. “When I was a freshman I was an environmental science major and after I met him I decided to go study business because I wanted to do a small business with him in the future.”

RELATED: Is partying okay post COVID-19 vaccine? Young adults of Tucson weigh in

Yang is currently pursuing her masters in econometrics at the UA. Her husband, Yu Ren, is an alumni who graduated in 2019 with a bachelor’s degree in sociology. As students themselves, the couple completely understand the need to have a comfortable place to do homework. This inspired the business’ motto: “Y Not Cozytime.” 

“After a whole day of class I’m exhausted. I want to find a place to take a rest and to just drink some of my favorite tea,” Yang said, explaining the inspiration for the shop’s design. 

The shop reflects a cozy sentiment: warm tones of pink and purple flood the room with cushy couches and chairs accented with sparkly chandeliers, lively flowers and pleasing music. 

Useful amenities are also available to patrons. 

“We have printers and free Wi-Fi so students can study here,” Yu Ren said, “and of course we have food and drinks so students can have whatever they want [available to them].”

Besides a comfortable atmosphere, Heyy~Tea gives a whole new meaning to bubble tea in terms of quality.

“All our fruit and tea is fresh daily and we make our cream cheese every morning,” Yu Ren said. 

RELATED: Hotel McCoy: An art space and a place to stay

Mangos, strawberries, oranges and more other fruits can be seen floating in fruit teas, all rich in flavor. Additionally, Heyy~Tea’s cream cheese, a common boba topping, is creamy and sweet.”

According to Yang, quality is essential for her business. She learned how to make bubble tea in China. Despite bubble tea originated in Taiwan, professionals in China know a thing or two when it comes to bubble tea. 

“I’ve learned recipes from a professional tea shop in China,” Yang said. “For us, dessert in America is really sweet, and I like more of a milky and fresh style, so I decided to import some ideas [for my menu] from China.” 

Yang explained that the name “Heyy~Tea” sprung from the fact that the business is introducing a new and authentic taste that is unlike any other boba places in Tucson, with the title intended to put the spotlight on it. 

“I’m kind of obsessed with boba,” Esther Weng, a barista at Heyy~Tea jokes. “I work here so I can get the free fruit tea.”

RELATED: UA students win Dusk 2021 Battle of the Bands

Looking for a place to start? Ren and Weng both recommend the Super Orange fruit tea. And while Yang is a milk tea lover, she says that every item on the menu is her favorite. 

“It’s basically all the drinks,” Yang said. “I always choose the drinks that I like so I sell them.”

Heyy~Tea is open seven days a week, Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. and on weekends from 12:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Heyy~Tea is certainly something to keep an eye on as the shop continues to grow. 

Follow on Allison Fagan on Twitter