Tuition hike unpopular among students

On Thursday, UA students were treated to a welcome surprise: tuition for undergraduate students was only going to raise $206. The raise, 3.7 percent, would be in step with the cost of living increase. President Robert Shelton’s proposal called for a 9.5 increase, nearly triple of the cost of living increase.

“”It was going to be great, I though it was a victory for students,”” said senior Chad Roy.

But that was short lived, with the announcement coming Friday that the regents voted 6-3 to reconsider the tuition raise, backing Shelton’s proposal. This means starting in the 2009 school year, current in-state students will have to pay an extra $545 for tuition while out-of-state students will be charged $2,275 more.

“”But now, that’s ridiculous.”” Roy added.

Victoria Fregoso echoed Roy. “”I was happy when I found out it was only supposed to get raised by $206, but now that it’ more than double that, it’s really upsetting. I’m hardly going to have any loan money left over to buy books and those few extra supplies I need every semester.””

Sophomore Kelly Comstock agreed, “”I am upset about it because students do not have the money right now. But I can see how it’s a natural progress in order to ensure educational quality that administrators need to raise tuition because these are rough times. It’s just a bad situation,””

However one benefit will be beginning in 2010 where tuition will be indexed, where tuition will rise by 5 percent each year for returning students. Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University already use this method.