Weekly Wildcat Playlist: The best of rock and rap

Lindsey Otto

In the past, different genres of music have been mixed and matched to balance with and compliment each other, as well as to create something that’s never been done before.

This week, the Daily Wildcat’s playlist is listing some great hits from two of the most popular genres of music, rock and rap. This interesting compilation is based on rap and rock artists who have collaborated to create some truly unique music, which will surely spice up your long Fourth of July weekend.

10. “Numb Encore” by Linkin Park feat. Jay Z

To start the countdown, listen to this track that features one of the best rappers in the game, Jay Z. He teamed up with Linkin Park in 2008 for a hard track about the price of fame.

9. “Undead” by Hollywood Undead

If you are into hardcore rock & rap mixed together, pick this song to amp up your speakers. Hollywood Undead is a   band focused on combining those two contrasting genres. 

8. “American Star” by Lil Wayne feat. Shanell

Dwayne Michel Carter Jr., also known as Lil Wayne, is one of the most well-known rappers of the industry. In 2010, he decided to drop a rock album called “Rebirth” that combined rap with rock in two singles. This song talks about his path to fame and the checkered story of him and his ancestors.

RELATED: Weekly Wildcat Playlist: Summer jams

7. “Let It Rock” by Kevin Rudolf feat. Lil Wayne

Kevin Rudolf is a very talent vocalist who focuses his talents on pop and rock music.  In 2010, Rudolf signed a record deal with Birdman and joined the Cash Money team, which led him to make this hit song with Lil Wayne. “Let It Rock” talks about the way the two stars makes the crowd go wild when they’re on stage.

6. “I Made It” by Cash Money Heroes

In this song, familiar artist to the genre Kevin Rudolf strikes back with his rock style melody. Rudolf, Jay Sean, and Lil Wayne come together to sing about their professional achievements. This song is known as a victory song, often played during basketball games.

5. “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons feat. Kendrick Lamar

Imagine Dragons is one of the most popular rock bands of this decade, rivaling Green Day and many other similar bands. They teamed up with rapper Kendrick Lamar to bring down the house at a Grammy’s performance in 2014. “Radioactive” was executed perfectly with rock and rhythm; Lamar’s rap verse gave the song a dark tone.

4. “Rockstar” by Chamillionaire feat. Lil Wayne

In this song, Chamillionaire and Mr. Young Money team up to tell the story of a life of a famous icon. In the instrumental, an awesome drum and an electric guitar solo give the song a wild rush that quintessential to any truly good rock band.

3. “Rock Star” by R. Kelly feat. Kid Rock & Ludacris

R. Kelly changes up his usual genre by adding Kid Rock on this track. It explains the laid back life of rockstar player trying to change the atmosphere in the room. In this song, Kid Rock does an amazing job with his guitar, beautifully combining rock and rap together.

RELATED: Weekly Wildcat playlist: Semester’s end

2. “Prom Queen” by Lil Wayne

From his iconic “Rebirth” album, Lil Wayne wrote this song about pursuing the most popular girl in school. The structure of the song is unique with rock instrumentals and guitar solos abound.

1. “Sucker for Pain” by Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa and Imagine Dragons with Logic, Ty Dolla Sign and X Ambassadors

This rock and rap masterpiece, created by Imagine Dragons, nails the collaboration with a long list of rappers to create a great song for the DC supervillan movie “Suicide Squad”. The song focuses on all the pain heaped on the super villain inmates in Arkam Asylum.

Follow Mike Gonzalez on Twitter.