Vagina Warriors begin ‘monologues’ auditions

Morgan Sim, a junior majoring in political science and theatre history, practices lines for her Vagina Monologues audition last night.
    Morgan Sim, a junior majoring in political science and theatre history, practices lines for her ‘Vagina Monologues’ audition last night.

Approximately 50 female students ranted, raved and laughed their way through open auditions for the “”The Vagina Monologues”” last night in the Coati Room of the Park Student Union.

The Vagina Warriors, an all-female UA student club, held the auditions, which will continue tonight from 8 to 10 in the Student Union Memorial Center.

This year’s production will feature two shows in the span of Feb. 15-18, but the exact dates have not been determined, said Sara Jane McDaniel, co-president and co-directory of the Vagina Warriors.

“”We are looking for 11 girls to be the actual actresses,”” said McDaniel, a theatre production senior. “”After auditions, we usually get about 20 to 30 girls who will help us put on the production, including all the activities we do throughout the weekend of Feb. 15-18.””

The Vagina Warriors are holding open castings in which potential actresses are asked to read part of a Vagina Monologue and are also given the option of reading a group scene.

No actress from previous years is allowed to re-audition.

“”It’s not a polished audition, and we aren’t just looking for theater majors,”” McDaniel said. “”The goal of the production is to be diverse. We are expecting to see a little bit of everyone, because the play is about the everyday woman.””

Feruza Amanova, a junior majoring in family studies and human development, auditioned after watching the play last year and joining the Vagina Warriors, despite having little acting experience.

As the production raises money for the UA Oasis Center, which assists abused women, Amanova said the “”Monologues”” serve “”an important cause.””

“”This is a really fun way to spread the word, but I’m nervous to audition!”” she said.

“”The Vagina Monologues”” is a 90-minute play featuring monologues based on interviews done by author Eve Ensler.

The monologues feature such topics as women’s experiences, lives and bodies, McDaniel said.

The UA has put on the play for the last five years, she said.

“”This isn’t a man-hating show,”” McDaniel said. “”I know some people think it’s just a bunch of lesbians ranting about men, but it’s not at all. We’d especially like men to come.””

Nora McDonald, an undeclared sophomore, auditioned last night after seeing the show last year.

“”I love acting, and the show last year was awesome,”” McDonald said. “”Everyone should go see it because it’s important for women to understand their bodies and feel comfortable in and about them.””

In addition to discussing women’s sexuality, the play also discusses and raises awareness about sexual assault against women and its aftermath, McDaniel said.

Ninety percent of all profits from ticket, T-shirt, button and chocolate sales will go to the Oasis Center, and 10 percent will go to an organization called the Women of New Orleans.

“”Sexual abuse is a huge issue on this campus, and people are completely unaware of it,”” McDaniel said. “”If they don’t even know about the abuse on campus, imagine all the abuse that occurs in private homes and abroad. It’s horrendous and heartbreaking.””

McDaniel said she hopes audience members gain a newfound respect and understanding for women.

“”It’s really important for a large campus to open up a space for all of us to talk about women’s sexuality and their bodies in a positive and empowering way,”” said Carly Thomsen, director of ASUA’s Women’s Resource Center and a women’s studies graduate student.

“”I saw the UA production last year and it was absolutely amazing.””

The location of auditions this evening within the SUMC was unknown at press time. Students seeking information on becoming a part of the event can contact Alexandria Gendreau, a member of the Vagina Warriors’ executive board, at gendreau@email.arizona.edu.