UA student to receive Truman scholarship

One of the three UA students vying for the Harry S. Truman scholarship was chosen as one of 75 recipients nationwide, making him the fourth in UA history to receive the award.

Daniel Tuttle, a senior majoring in economics and interdisciplinary studies, was awarded $30,000 toward graduate study, which he plans to use for graduate school in London.

Tuttle, who is currently studying abroad in Chengdu City, China, plans to study China’s role in the economic development in East Africa, according to a press release.

Tuttle was awarded the prestigious scholarship on March 28, and President Peter Likins called him in China to tell him the news, according to a press release.

Tuttle declined to comment further to the Arizona Daily Wildcat, saying that it is unfair to the other candidates who have made “”outstanding commitments to their local and global communities”” to have any more press coverage.

Ryan Johnson, a senior majoring in economics and international studies, also won a prestigious award last week – the Fulbright scholarship.

Johnson, who was also a finalist for the Truman scholarship, plans to study transportation issues in poor communities in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

“”I was really excited because it means I get to spend a year in Brazil,”” said Johnson, an Arizona Daily Wildcat columnist.

The Fulbright Scholar Program sends about 800 students and professionals to more than 140 countries each year to research, teach and lecture in a variety of fields.

Johnson said that he’s not disappointed about the Truman scholarship.

“”It would have been great to get it but I’m just as excited about the Fulbright,”” Johnson said.

The previous UA Truman scholars were Ian Larkin in 1995, John Gandomi in 2003 and Amy Schlossman in 2004. Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano was also a Truman scholar in 1977.

As part of the scholarship, Tuttle will be required to spend three of the seven years after completing a graduate program working in public service.

The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation has been awarding scholarships to “”outstanding juniors who plan to pursue a career in public service”” since 1977, according to the foundation’s Web site.