Police Beat: Nov. 19

Serial trespasser escorted to Pima County Jail

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the Main Library on Nov. 9 at 1:38 p.m. in reference to a report of an unwanted person on the premises. According to the report, a man who had previously been barred from campus for trespassing was seen in the area. Police were given a description of the man by dispatchers. Officers were unable to locate anyone matching the description in the library. Officers eventually located and contacted the man near the intersection of University Boulevard and Cherry Avenue.

He identified himself and admitted he knew he was not supposed to be in the library. He told police he had been in the library to use the computers. A records check revealed that the man had three outstanding warrants issued by the Tucson Police Department, one outstanding warrant for trespassing issued by UAPD and an active UA exclusionary order, good until January 2010. Officers placed the man under arrest and issued a new one-year exclusionary order. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Intoxicated woman calls cops to complain

UAPD officers responded to the Coronado Residence Hall on Nov. 11 at 1:57 a.m. in reference to a report of a disturbance. On arrival, officers met with a female resident who told police that another female resident had been giving her problems and the two had been having ongoing issues with each other.

During questioning, officers noticed the strong odor of intoxicants coming the woman’s mouth. They also observed that the woman had bloodshot eyes. Officers advised the woman of her Miranda rights and asked her if she had been drinking. She admitted she had been drinking at a party off campus, but told police she had only consumed one beer that evening. Officers informed the woman that she would be diverted to the Dean of Students Office in lieu of being cited for minor in possession. Police then questioned the woman who supposedly had been engaged in a dispute with the intoxicated woman. She stated the woman had had problems with alcohol in the past, and informed officers that she would contact them in the event of any future disputes with her neighbor.

Traffic cone thieves break in, dive in

UAPD officers were dispatched to Hillenbrand Pool on Nov. 11 at approximately 2:39 a.m. in reference to an alarm activation at the northwest gate. Officers searched the immediate area but were unable to locate the cause of the activation. Officers unlocked and entered the gate and observed two men in the lap pool. The men saw officers approaching and fled the area, jumping over a wall. Officers advised dispatch of the incident and provided a description for responding units. Near the area where the men had been swimming, police found a keychain with a lanyard and a leather fob embossed with the name “”Nicholas.””

Officers were able to locate and apprehend one of the men who had been in the pool. Officers asked the man if he knew the whereabouts of “”Nicholas.”” He replied, “”I don’t know.”” The second man was apprehended several minutes later. He stated, “”Yeah, I know we shouldn’t have been there.”” He then admitted that the lanyard was his. Police asked the man if he had a vehicle parked nearby, and he told them he had parked his truck in front of McKale Center. Officers asked the man if there was anything in the vehicle they should know about. He told them there were two traffic cones in the truck, but denied putting them there. He claimed that his two friends had taken the cones and placed them in the truck without his knowledge. He was cited on charges of trespassing and released. The first man that was apprehended told police the same story, that he and a friend had found the cones and placed them into the man’s truck without his knowledge. He gave police the name of the other man who had helped him take the traffic cones. He was cited on charges of trespassing and theft and released on scene.

At approximately 4:07 a.m., officers conducted a traffic stop and made contact with the man who had helped take the traffic cones. He denied being in the pool with the other two men. Officers told the man his friends had already told them that he was present at the pool and that he helped take the traffic cones. He then admitted to both incidents and was cited on charges of trespassing and theft and released on scene.

Man plays sick trick on library chick

UAPD officers responded to the Main Library on Nov. 11 at 3:15 p.m. in reference to a report of indecent exposure. Upon arrival, officers met with a female student who told them she had been on the south side of the fourth floor when a man exposed himself to her. She said she had been studying when she saw a man in his 60s or 70s sit in a chair approximately five to seven feet away from hers. She stated that at one point, the man got up and approached her, tapped on her shoulder and asked her for the time. She gave him the time and he replied, “”Sorry to bother you, I have 15 minutes.”” He then laughed and returned to his chair.

When she looked up minutes later, she observed that the man had a red book in his lap. His pants were unzipped and his penis was fully exposed. The woman stated that the man was masturbating. The man then stood up, put his penis back into his pants and stated, “”I have to go now.”” He smiled at her and then left, taking the red book with him. Police searched the library for the man but were unable to locate anyone matching the description they were given. The woman told police that she would press charges if police were able to locate the man. She was issued a Victim’s Rights form.