President’s Concert to bring musical treats for all

The UA School of Music is poised to astonish audiences with another fascinating lineup of soloists and pieces this year at the 37th annual President’s Concert.

The concert, which will be held Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m., is the result of a highly competitive audition process in which all UA music students were welcome to compete. The four winning soloists, Robyn Rocklein (mezzo-soprano), Garrick Woods (cello), Kyung Lee (piano) and Jonathan Wintringham (saxophone), will each be performing pieces that highlight the complex and virtuosic level of performance ability each has achieved.

“”There’s really no other meeting that we get to perform for so many students and so many people in general,”” said Wintringham, a saxophone performance senior. He will be playing “”Cyber Bird,”” an innovative concerto for saxophone by Takashi Yoshimatsu.

But that’s not all. Arizona Symphony music director and conductor Thomas Cockrell will join second-year graduate conductors Keitaro Harada and Jackson Warren in conducting the pieces.

The program is sure to delight musicians familiar with classical repertoire and casual listeners alike: Expressive, romantic pieces, like Édouard Lalo’s Cello Concerto in D Minor will provide exciting musical thrills for all listeners. However, the program includes more modern, explorative pieces as well, such as the aforementioned “”Cyber Bird”” by Yoshimatsu — a much more abstract and less conventional piece.

Other songs include Maurice Ravel’s “”Danse Générale”” from Daphnis et Chloé, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s “”Parto, parto”” from La Clemenza di Tito (featuring Robyn Rocklein), Edward MacDowell’s Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor (featuring Kyung Lee) and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy.

The President’s Concert contains some of the most beloved and well-known pieces in classical string music and is likely to be a delight for both musicians and musical newcomers alike.