New assistant coach hired for women’s basketball team

Bernard Scott joined the Arizona women’s basketball team as an assistant coach on Friday.

Scott fills the vacancy left by former assistant coach Todd Holthaus, who was named the head coach at Pima Community College in mid-May.

Scott, 29, spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach at Dayton. He assisted with recruiting, scouting, and practice planning, and was in charge of scheduling and summer camps.

Scott helped the Flyers to their second-best record in school history with a 17-12 mark during the 2005-06 season, compared to a 3-25 record the year before.

“”Bernard is an experienced, hard worker,”” Bonvicini said Friday. “”He’s a good recruiter, very good on the floor and very excited to be a part of the Wildcats team.””

Prior to his tenure at Dayton, Scott served as an assistant coach at Toledo, his alma mater, from 2001-05. He contributed to player development, recruiting and scouting, among other facets of the program.

He helped guide the Lady Rockets to the 2003 Mid-American Conference regular-season championship and a berth in the 2003 WNIT. At Toledo, six of his players earned All-Mid-American Conference honors.

“”It is a great opportunity for me to come to Arizona and work with coach Bonvicini and this staff,”” Scott said in a press release Friday. “”I am looking forward to using my coaching and recruiting experience to help benefit this program. I’m excited to coach in the Pac-10, and I know I can help this team in every part of the game.””