Last home series for Arizona men’s tennis

After the shakedown last weekend, today is anyone’s match.

Arizona (16-2, 1-1 Pacific 10 Conference) will have two more opportunities to remain undefeated on its home court. Stanford, previously ranked fourth in ITA rankings, has had its confidence shaken by two Pac-10 losses last weekend, one to USC and another to UCLA. Stanford will be the highest-ranked team Arizona has faced since Florida earlier in the season. Arizona, prior to Sunday’s loss to No. 26, was the hottest team in the conference and riding a 14-match winning streak. Both teams possess players ranked nationally in both singles and doubles.

On Saturday, the Arizona men face No. 44 California in its last home match. Stanford and Cal are both conference matches. As this will be the last time the Wildcats will play at home this season, the first 100 fans for both matches will receive free pom-poms. There will also be free match programs, team media guides and team posters. Admission to this event is free.

Both matches will take place at the Robson Tennis Center with today’s match starting at 1:30 p.m. and tomorrow’s at 1 p.m.

Tough road match for women

Last weekend was encouraging for the Arizona women’s tennis team. The No. 59 Wildcats (10-5, 1-2 Pacific 10 Conference) upset the then-No. 39 Sacramento State, a team ranked 23 spots above them at the time, in a victory that included claiming the doubles point that has often eluded them.

However, they will look ahead this weekend to No. 10 Stanford (12-3, 3-1 Pac-10) and No. 8 California (12-4, 3-1 Pac-10), which will require them to harness all of last weekend’s positive energy. Both matches will take place in the Bay Area.

Stanford has a home-court winning streak of 145. The Cardinals have not lost in a home dual match since February 27, 1999. They most recently defeated Sacramento State in a 6-1 victory on Wednesday.

California will match up against ASU first on Friday. ASU currently leads the Pac-10 conference with a No. 7 ranking. Arizona, whose initial meeting with ASU was rained out earlier this season, will have another chance to face its in-state rival on April 18.

Arizona’s match against Stanford will take place on Friday at 1:30 p.m. On Saturday, Arizona will take on California at noon.