Non-theatre students get shot at stage in new UA club

If you are a molecular and cellular biology major but were the drama queen in your high school, get ready to rejoice.

Students on Stage, or SOS, a new UA club started this year, is the first ever student-run, student-acted and student-produced group at the UA – and absolutely anyone interested can become part of it.

The club was started by theatre students who wanted to create an opportunity for non-theatre students to be in a production. To act in any of the Arizona Repertory Theatre productions, one must be a theatre student in the bachelor of fine arts program.

“”Only BFA people can be in those productions. We wanted to provide an opportunity for people who like to perform with other students,”” said BFA theatre senior Jeff Guilfoyle, public relations officer for SOS.

The club’s first production, “”Falling,”” will premiere Saturday. The musical has a cast of 16 people and is composed of contemporary and classical songs.

“”The play is about falling in love, joys of being in love and the heartache of falling out of love,”” Guilfoyle said.

The group now only has 40 members, but students interested in any aspect of the production – from acting to costume design – are always welcome to get involved.

SOS hopes eventually to have outreach projects in the future, such as performing for children at local Tucson hospitals. The group is still trying to gain more members who can fill the various positions needed for future shows to be successful.

“”We’re always looking for more people to perform,”” Guilfoyle said. The group meets every Friday at 4 p.m. in the Harvill building, Room 332B.

“”Falling”” plays Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Theatre Arts building Room 116. A donation of $5 is requested, but not required.