Police Beat: Oct. 19

Stumbling student thanks officers for MIP

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on University Boulevard on Oct. 8 at 10:45 p.m. when they observed a man stumbling across the street. Officers contacted the man, who admitted to drinking “”shots.””According to police, the man had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke. A preliminary breath test confirmed the presence of alcohol in his system. The man told officers, “”Please give me an MIP”” and admitted to drinking cranberry juice and vodka.The man was cited on charges of minor in possession and the incident was referred to the Dean of Students Office. Before the man was released he told police, “”Thank you for your service to this country.””

Six skateboards confiscated while not in use

UAPD officers responded to the University Services Annex, 220 W. Sixth St., on Oct. 9 at 4:39 p.m. in reference to skateboarders performing tricks.Upon arrival, officers made contact with six men, all in possession of skateboards. Police questioned the men, who all admitted to riding but denied performing tricks.Officers impounded the men’s skateboards and cited them all on charges of skateboarding in a prohibited area. The men were warned against trespassing and were released on scene. The skateboards were placed into evidence.

Woman tries to boost beanie from bookstore

UAPD officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 9 at 4:50 p.m. in reference to an alleged shoplifter.Upon arrival, officers met with a bookstore employee who told them a woman had been detained for trying to steal merchandise. According to the employee, the woman picked up a beanie hat and removed the price tags. She then concealed the beanie in her purse and attempted to leave the store.The beanie was valued at $22. The woman was cited on charges of shoplifting and released on scene and the incident was referred to the Dean of Students Office. A copy of the surveillance footage has been entered into evidence.

Drinks are not on the house

UAPD officers were eastbound on Speedway Boulevard approaching Campbell Avenue on Oct. 10 at 1:09 a.m. when they observed several men on the sidewalk engage in a struggle.Officers made contact with the group and observed one man being restrained on the ground. Officers asked the group to let go of the man and he was then placed in handcuffs.Several of the group members told police that they were employees of Dirtbag’s Bar, 1800 E. Speedway Blvd. They claimed the man stole beer.According to the man in custody, he bought two pitchers of beer and did not want to pay for any more drinks, so he stole three Corona Light beer bottles from an ice trough behind the bar. Dirtbag’s employees did not wish to press charges, but only if the man paid for the beer he stole. The man agreed and paid his tab. He was released on scene.

Police break up late night pool party

UAPD officers were dispatched to Hillebrand Aquatic Center on Oct. 10 at 12:11 a.m. in reference to an alarm. Upon arrival police observed a man walking near the south side of the pool, wearing only shorts and flip-flops.As the man approached, officers noticed that he was dripping wet. When officers questioned the man, he claimed to have run through a sprinkler. According to police, the man was loud, belligerent and refused to answer questions. Two other men approached officers from the same direction as the first man.Police then observed two women walking along the bleachers inside the pool area, and ordered them to exit immediately. The women claimed that the three men had entered the pool area and then helped them in. They told police they had only been “”hanging out.”” All five were cited on charges of trespassing and were released on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.