Mail/Blog

Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs looks on against the New Orleans Saints during the NFC Championship football game in this Jan. 21 file photo. Briggs reiterated March 13 that he will not play another down for the Chicago Bears and is ready to sit out next season after they designated him as their franchise player.

Mail:

SNL slams Cats

Did anyone else see “”Saturday Night Live”” slam the Cats basketball team for at least one minute on this Saturday’s episode? I didn’t realize our team was that big of a joke (nationally). I hope next year’s squad was watching along with Lute, (and that no recruits were watching).

– Will Harris
    political science senior

Blog:

Catching up with Lance Briggs

Editor’s Note: Former UA linebacker Lance Briggs (1999-2002), now a Pro Bowler with the Chicago Bears, attended March 10’s pro day on the Arizona campus. Briggs, the third-round pick from 2003 and the Wildcats’ highest-drafted player in four years, declined comment on his contract status but recently appeared on ESPN to say he will not return to the Bears because he wants a long-term contract they are unwilling to offer. He did talk about still following the Arizona program, UA head coach Mike Stoops and his former position mate Spencer Larsen.

On his pro day: “”Oh, rough. Rough. My pro day wasn’t one of my best days. My pro day, I’ll always remember it. … It’s kind of been motivation.””

On following the Arizona program: “”Always, always. Obviously I bleed red and blue. I’ll always be a Wildcat. In the NFL you can be one place now and another place later, but I’ll always be an Arizona Wildcat.””

On whether he helped out former Wildcat Copeland Bryan, a Bears rookie last year: “”Copeland, he doesn’t really need help. Copeland, he’s a good football player. Copeland’s a good football player, and that’s why the Bears wanted him over there. He’s a good fit for what we do. Hopefully he can get a great opportunity next year, preseason.””

On how often he comes to Tucson: “”I’m usually out here spring to early summer working out to get ready for the next year. I don’t have a place. I’m looking to buy in the Phoenix area.””

On whether it’s nice to see Arizona making some strides: “”Absolutely, absolutely. I always wish I would have been able to play under Stoops. If it wasn’t (Dick) Tomey (Briggs’ head coach at Arizona), I would have played under Stoops. Really he kind of reminds me of a young Dick Tomey, (a) fiery guy.””

On if he’s seen any of Arizona’s linebackers recently: “”I haven’t seen them since I came back, but I usually see them, we usually work out together, stuff like that.””

On whether any UA players particularly impress him: “”Obviously the standout guys impress me: The Antoines (Cason), the (Syndric) Steptoes, and Spencer (Larsen)’s impressed me since he’s been there, since he was starting next to me. He’s got good leadership.””

On Larsen: “”He’s somebody who definitely had no fear. He came in there, he stepped in there, he came in making plays. Sometimes when you’re a senior and your coach puts in a young guy, you get kind of worried, you don’t know if this young guy’s going to produce or not, but when he gets out there making play after play after play, his play, his production stands for itself. … Arizona the football team will definitely be able to lean on him as a leader.””

– Michael Schwartz