Police Beat: October 18

Trashed

A UA student was taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center on Oct. 11 at approximately 12:44 a.m. for extreme intoxication.

A resident assistant first contacted the University of Arizona Police Department for medical assistance after learning of the student’s condition at a residence hall.

UAPD officers and Tucson Fire Department personnel arrived but University of Arizona Emergency Medical Services was already evaluating the student.

The student was laying on the floor of her room with a trash can over her head.

The student told medical personnel she had drank too much alcohol and just wanted to go to bed.

Her friend told officials they had been with her that night and that she had drank at an off-campus fraternity house.

TFD personnel assessed the student’s condition and decided to take her to UAMC for extreme intoxication.

The student was not arrested, but was issued a referral to the Dean of Students Office.

Breath of fresh air

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on Sunday at 10:30 p.m.

Two UAPD officers responded to a call regarding the smell of marijuana coming from a room in a residence hall.

The resident assistant told officers he smelled marijuana coming from one of the rooms, followed by the sound of an aerosol can being sprayed and the scent of air freshener.

Officers knocked on the door and informed the student that they were there due to a report of marijuana. They then asked the student if there was marijuana in the room.

The student retrieved an iPad box from his closet. In the box was a small bag of marijuana, several empty bags, a metal grinder, a glass pipe, a lighter and a homemade filter.

The student told them he had attended a party at an apartment complex, and had received the marijuana there. The student said he didn’t know who gave him the drugs or who owned the apartment he’d been in.

The student then admitted to having smoked marijuana in his room about an hour before officers arrived. When asked if his roommate was also in possession of drugs, the student responded he didn’t think so.

The student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. He was also issued a warning against drug use on campus.

cat fight

UAPD officers responded to a shouting match turned physical at a residence hall on Oct. 11 at 10:30 p.m.

A UAPD officer spoke with one of the students, who stated that she was pushed during a verbal altercation she was having with her roommate’s friend.

The student said that she and her roommate’s friend had been trading insults for approximately an hour when her roommate’s friend approached her in the common area near her dorm room and pushed her with both hands.

The student said she tried to retaliate but was held back by three friends.

The student’s roommate was not present when the event took place.

Both students involved in the altercation decided not to press charges, and told officers there would be no further issues between them.

A code of conduct violation was completed for both students and forwarded to the Dean of Students Office.

— Follow Jazmine Foster-Hall @Jazz_Foster