Breaking Bad returns in an intense and entertaining way

IMDb
Aaron Paul stars in El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019), which follows the events after the finale of the popular show Breaking Bad.

“Breaking Bad” is not only one of the most critically acclaimed shows of all time, but it is my favorite drama series of all time. When the making of the sequel movie “El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie” was announced, I was skeptical, hoping that the memory of the show wouldn’t be tainted. So, how did it live up to its predecessor? 

“El Camino” follows Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) immediately after the events of the series finale of “Breaking Bad,” as he runs from the law and his past. 

In the series, Paul was a somewhat surprising standout, but in “El Camino” he takes the character to another level, with a more emotionally reserved performance. 

Vince Gilligan, the mastermind behind “Breaking Bad,” returned to write and direct the film. He brought forth a gripping and intense story that would make you feel right back to being engulfed in this universe. What makes it great is it’s not trying to be anything it’s not. It’s a way back into the world of “Breaking Bad,” and nothing felt out of place. There wasn’t anything that didn’t go along with the tone and the style of the show. 

The nostalgia factor is a heavy one here, with multiple characters from the series returning, including Badger (Matt Jones), Skinny Pete (Charles Baker) and Todd (Jesse Plemons).

Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) and Todd (Jesse Plemons) in El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019).

RELATED: Succession Finale Preview: HBO has its GoT successor in Succession

The story is structured in a way that includes flashbacks to moments that occurred during the original series, but also moments that happened off camera. They cut back to Jesse in real time as he comes across moments from his past that he probably wants to forget. There is a scene within the last half an hour of the movie that may make every fan of the original series get a little teary-eyed. It’s a throwback for the ages. 

This film is similar to “Toy Story 4″ in a lot of ways. It’s weird, I know. However, if you look at it,  ”Toy Story 3” was viewed as the perfect wrap up to the story for the toys, and “Toy Story 4” was made to tie up loose ends on Woody’s front.

“Breaking Bad” had a perfect ending to it’s five-season run, and any sort of spin-off or add-on would just seem unnecessary. However, with the character of Jesse, it’s a little bit easier to take his ending and provide some more closure, which this movie does.

Despite “El Camino” being a probably unnecessary add-on to an already perfect series, “El Camino” has a way that keeps you captivated for two hours. Paul does a wonderful job back as Jesse, and Gilligan delivers an extremely entertaining and thrilling story. 

What only felt like ten minutes was actually two hours. The nostalgia from the series hits really heavily and it definitely has me wanting to rewatch the series. For fans of “Breaking Bad,” this is certainly one you don’t want to miss.

I give El Camino an A-. 

Follow Edward Vento on Twitter