The Legend of Georgia McBride goes online

Arizona Theatre Company Courtesy

In collaboration with the Milwaukee Repertory Theater, the Arizona Theatre Company was set to run a production of “The Legend of Georgia McBride,” a play written by Matthew Lopez. 

“The Legend of Georgia McBride” made its debut in Tucson at the Temple of Music and Art on March 13 and was set to run until March 28. Due to COVID-19, the Arizona Theatre Company closed after opening night and chose to reschedule for the 2021-22 season.

RELATED: What are the different tests for COVID-19 and how do they work?

On April 6, the Arizona Theatre Company announced that the production would now be offered through online streaming until April 15.

Kevin Kantor plays Casey, the main character in the play. According to Kantor, the play is about “a straight, married Elvis impersonator who is fired and replaced by a drag queen and starts doing drag to make ends meet.”

Kantor said in an email that through this show, they have renewed their respect and admiration for drag queens and drag in general.

“In a time like now we all need to party with drag queens and disco balls,” Kantor said. “Through this show, you see the importance of learning about one another and showing up for each other. Drag is far from easy, it’s a performance art.” 

The show’s director, Meredith McDonough, said in an email that this show is perfect for the times of trouble the world is facing.

“It’s a joyful party. It reminds us about the very best of humanity — helping and including and lifting each other up,” McDonough said. “Let us bring some joy into your living room during these scary times!”

RELATED: Artists adapting to closures

Sean Daniels, the artistic director at the Arizona Theatre Company, said that they constantly get people telling them that shows at the Arizona Theatre Company are “just as good as I see in New York or London, the best kept secret in the country.” 

“Now we can finally share our shows with everyone around the globe and show all the amazing work happening in Arizona, and get people excited for when the show returns in 18 months,” Daniels said in an email.

RELATED: Multimedia festival goes virtual, challenges art limitations

Much like many other entertainment businesses and industries, theater is likely to suffer. Most theaters are closed, losing income they would have made in a normal season. In an article written in The Guardian, they offer some alternatives for supporting theater during this time, including buying plays, donating tickets and more.

“The Legend of Georgia McBride” is being offered on Vimeo and tickets are available for purchase for $25. The show will also be available in the 2021-22 season. Visit the Arizona Theatre Company website for more information.

Follow Isabella Barron on Twitter