Look alive, girls: peplum skirts are here to stay

Illustration by Alexandra Giroux

Females are generally always looking to give off the impression that their waist is a bit smaller than it actually is. Luckily, ladies, there is a trend this fall season that caters perfectly to the notion. The peplum skirt is back in action and making a huge comeback from those dreaded ‘80s prom dresses — though the trend truly began originally during the ‘40s. It’s been said it is one of fashion’s biggest comebacks in recent times, and it doesn’t look to be going anywhere for quite a while.

Peplum skirts first started becoming relevant again during the Spring/Summer 2012 Fashion week, premiered by Marc Jacobs, Yves Saint Laurent and Christian Dior. The peplum skirt then boomed all over this past Fall/Winter 2012 fashion week just a month ago, ensuring that it’s one of the most current fall trends available. Designers that featured the craze for this season were Jason Wu and Vera Wang.

The concept of the peplum skirt is that it is essentially a small overskirt attached to dresses, blouses and even some overcoats or jackets. The Peplum overskirt starts at the waist and begins a small A-line ruffle, which is what gives the illusion of a smaller waist (the goal in the back of every girl’s mind). It does a wonderful job at accentuating the proportion of the female figure.

Products that feature these wonderful overskirts are a great addition to any wardrobe and can be utilized to dress up an outfit paired with a nice clutch and heels. Another way you could apply the trend is to wear them as a day piece with a belt and flats. For a more daring look, try the outfit with some high stockings.

The peplum skirt is a really interesting way to incorporate a certain amount of class, professionalism and edge into your style thanks to the classic pencil skirt that is normally attached to the look. So give it whirl — you’ll look incredibly chic for the Fall.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Alexandra @alex82492.