ASUA briefs

Cats RIDDE aims to mirror CARPOOL’s success

Administrative Vice President Jami Reinsch gave an informational report to the ASUA Senate about the UA’s Cats RIDDE program at last night’s senate meeting.

Reinsch recently traveled to Texas A&M University to learn about its success with CARPOOL, a program similar to Cats RIDDE.

“”Everyone on their campus loves CARPOOL,”” Reinsch said. “”It’s such a big thing there.””

CARPOOL operates like a club at Texas A&M and has more than 300 members, each of whom go through an extensive application progress.

Reinsch said getting heavy campus involvement and support will be crucial to getting Cats RIDDE to be as successful as CARPOOL.

“”We need to cooperate with UAPD and the student body to make this work,”” Reinsch said.

Reinsch also said training will be very important. Members will be required to attend training sessions once a month on topics such as alcohol awareness and paramedic training.

“”(Cats RIDDE)’s getting a slow start, but I think (it) will be very successful,”” Reinsch said.

? ? ?

New exec VP leads first senate meeting

Newly appointed Executive Vice President Rhonda Tubbs led her first senate meeting last night, getting many welcomes from all members of ASUA.

Tubbs served on the Associated Students of the University of Arizona as a senator last year and said she is excited to be a part of the meetings once again.

“”I promise I will get better with the lingo,”” Tubbs said. “”I just have to get used to it again.””

Tubbs also said she is working hard to appoint new Appropriations Board members after more than half of them resigned Monday.

“”Hopefully by Monday we will have them all appointed so we can finish up the year smoothly without hurting clubs,”” Tubbs said.

ASUA members also expressed congratulations to newly elected senate members, many of whom were in the audience to learn more about their future responsibilities.

– compiled by Andrea Lerch