Pro/Con: Do you like McKale Madness?

McKale Madness, or Midnight Madness as it used to be called, only means one thing: Basketball season is here.

After watching the start of this year’s UA football season, that’s a beautiful thing.

The actual event, which runs from 7 to 9 Friday evening in McKale Center, isn’t half bad either, and it’s even better that it’s free.

It’s the one time of year that these student-athletes have the time to really make a connection with their fans during the autograph-signing session.

Better yet, who wouldn’t be excited to see freshman phenom Chase Budinger in a dunk contest? Not only does he have ridiculous hops, but he’s already won dunk contests at the McDonald’s All-American game and at the Junior World Championships.

Athletic freaks Jordan Hill and Fendi Onobun will have one hell of a time keeping up with him.

Then there are the senior videos, a creative way to introduce the seniors after the rest of the squad has been introduced. What happens when you mix Mustafa Shakur, Ivan Radenovic and Kirk Walters? It should be interesting.

Finally, it’s the start of practice, the first chance to see Budinger, Hill and fellow freshman Nic Wise playing in Arizona uniform.

After watching the start of this football season, everybody can use a little McKale Madness.

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

I don’t know about you, but McKale Madness just doesn’t have the same ring to me as Midnight Madness.

The important stuff happens at midnight. Cinderella’s magic comes to an end, the New Year is celebrated and MTV and BET start playing racy videos.

I understand McKale Madness is an opportunity for the community to come out without paying crazy prices, but there will be fewer students at Friday night’s McKale Madness than a Sunday morning class after St. Patrick’s Day.

The football team has its “”Meet the Team”” event because it needs all the hype it can get. But if you’re not hyped about a top-10 team with a top-six recruit, then you may be studying a little bit too much.

And the dunk contest is usually more one-sided than an Arizona Cardinals/Chicago Bears football game, aside from the Andre Iguodala/Hassan Adams matchup of course.

Even the players aren’t too excited. Senior point guard Mustafa Shakur has been through the past three Madness events but said he’s most looking forward to the first real practice. As for the fans, the loudest noise comes from T-shirts being thrown into the crowd. People love free stuff, no matter what it is.

But just because it’s free doesn’t mean it’s good.

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor