10 reasons we’re excited for ‘Grease: Live!’

FOX
    Poster for Fox’s Grease Live airing on Sunday Jan. 31. Julianne Houghe and Aaron Tveit star in the musical as Sandy and Danny Zucko.

Grease — our parents adored it in their childhoods, and therefore showed us when were small, too. If childhood inspired your Grease obsession, or you’re just a person of good taste, there’s no doubt you’re just as excited as us for “Grease: Live,” airing Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. on Fox. Here’s why.

1. It’s “Grease”

Point blank. This multi-generational favorite will draw an audience of all ages to sing along to “Greased Lightnin'” and “Summer Nights.” Just make sure not to scare your suitemates when you belt out “Look at me I’m Sandra Dee.”

2. It’s live

“Grease: Live” is set to have a live studio audience of 700 people. A live audience will not only make the stars of the show more excited, but people watching at home as well

3. The cast

Julianne Hough as Sandy, Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo, Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko, Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy — the cast is huge. There is no doubt that they’ll do the original “Grease” justice.

4. Fox puts on bomb musicals

Fox is known for showing only the best shows (and musicals). It’s home to “Glee,” “New Girl,” “American Idol” and “The Simpsons.” “Grease: Live” will be an exceptional addition to its great productions.

5. The soundtrack

What’s an adaption to a classic musical without a new soundtrack? “Grease: Live” will have covers for the classic songs by Jessie J, Carly Rae Jepsen, Boyz II Men and Joe Jonas’ band, DNCE.

6. Commercials

Instead of anxiously waiting for the musical to return from commercial breaks, you can literally watch the cast behind the scenes preparing for the next set on Facebook Live. The stars will wear GoPros on their backs to give a raw depiction of what goes on behind the scenes.

7. The directors

Thomas Kail and Alex Rudzinski are the masterminds of Grease’s live adaption. Kail is the director of “Critical Hours” and has written for “2 Broke Girls.” Rudzinski directed “Dancing with the Stars,” which explains “Grease: Live’s” amazing cast.

8. Boyz II Men as teen angels

It doesn’t get better than this. What was one teen angel in the original “Grease” will now be three , played by Nathan Morris, Wayna Morris and Shawn Stockman of Boyz II Men. They will cover Frenchy’s swan song, “Beauty School Dropout,” .

9. The props

Do I even need to explain— between the GoPros, full-sized Ferris wheels and a 50-foot tent, Fox doesn’t play around.

10. The costumes

With a great production of an American classic comes the need for awesome costumes. Fox delivers. According to ABC News, 208 costumes are needed solely for the shows 52 extras and there are hundreds more for the main stars. Each actor will have several costume changes to successfully put on “Grease: Live.” Vintage pieces from the original “Grease” will also be used to enhance the experience.

Follow Mariel Bustamante on Twitter.