Campus fashion risks worth taking this semester

Michelle Weiss/Arizona Daily Wildcat

We all make New Year’s resolutions, so why not make them in the fashion department?

In 2011 we were introduced to some great styles, and many of them will help you start off this semester with a kick. Whether you’re trying out new hats, jeans, prints or shoe styles, there’s always a fun aspect to adding new pieces to your wardrobe.

There are two types of fashionistas — those who are trendsetters and those who prefer to wear a look after it becomes socially acceptable. Whether you plan on making a bold fashion comeback this month or waiting it out, here are some fabulous styles you shouldn’t overlook this season:

From mini to maxi

As college students, we may be more accustomed to miniskirts and outfits that show off bare legs. But fashion is about taking risks and thinking outside the box every now and then. This spring semester it’s about lowering your hemline.

A $24 black maxi skirt by Loila works great for spring and winter, according to Amy Jesionowski, the co-owner and manager at Collette. Jesionowski recommends wearing the skirt with a chunky sweater and boots in the winter or flats and a tank top in the spring.

“It’s (the pleated maxi skirt) good for Tucson because you never know what the weather is,” she said. “It gives you a lot of movement when you walk.”

While it isn’t too chilly in Tucson, you can still create stylish outfits with a longer skirt, either mid-calf length or maxi length. Most of the more fashionable midis and maxis are lightweight and loose, allowing for a comfortable fit that’s perfect for all-day campus wear. Right now, the pleated look is the way to go with midis. Just look at celeb fashionistas Keira Knightley and Kate Bosworth.

Bye bye blue jeans

We’re all pretty comfortable wearing our favorite blue jeans and it may be hard to try new brands or different cuts. But if you want to stay ahead with the latest fashions, invest in a brightly colored pair of jeans or pants. Sure, you’ve seen them in magazines, but seldom do you see purples, blues, reds or pinks on campus when it comes to jeans.

Moni Miller, one of the owners of Cry Baby Couture, said Katie Holmes started the trend when she was spotted in a pair of colored jeans priced at about $350. Miller said the Judy Blue jeans are a nice alternative. They can be found in blue, pink or red for $38 at Cry Baby Couture.

While bold colors for pants are without a doubt fun to look at, they need to be worn in a way that flatters your body type. If you’re petite, bright colors like red won’t be too difficult to pull off. If you’re taller or have a wider frame, long tops and loose sweaters can off-set the boldness of the pant color. Miller recommends pairing the jeans with black pumps and a gray sweater.

“It’s a great way to infuse a little fashion,” Miller said.

Lovely in leather

Saying skirt and leather in the same sentence probably sounds like a big fashion no-no, but it doesn’t have to be. Leather or faux leather in the form of a skirt is perfect for keeping warm in cooler temperatures. There are ways to wear a leather skirt without being too “biker” or “rock ‘n’ roll.”

If you’re looking for a more school-friendly look, brown leathers are more appropriate. To avoid a hardcore approach, a flowy and feminine top contrasts well with the stiffness of a leather skirt. For a going-out getup, a black mini with tights does the trick.

So get your credit cards out and make a trip to University Boulevard or the mall. It will be worth your while to revamp your closet for 2012.