Track team to split this weekend

After competing in four consecutive home meets, the No. 5 men’s and unranked women’s Arizona track and field teams will try to extend their outdoor season success as they split this weekend’s meets between the Rafer Johnson/JJK Invitational in Westwood, Calif., and the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas.

Sprinters and hurdlers, along with junior thrower Adam Kuehl and freshman pole vaulter Gabriella Duclos, will be sent to compete in Texas tomorrow and Saturday, said Arizona track and field head coach Fred Harvey.

Meanwhile, all of the distance runners and remaining throwers will compete at UCLA on the same days, he said, adding that both meets will be extremely competitive.

“”The Texas Relays is definitely is one of the most competitive invitationals in the entire country,”” Harvey said.

Some of the best athletes from big-name conferences like the Pacific 10 Conference and the Big 12 Conference will be there, Harvey said.

“”Really the top athletes in entire country will be there,”” he said.

Harvey said he fully expects athletes like senior hurdler Jennifer Whitlock and senior sprinter Marquita Taylor to perform at their best and grab some more personal records in Texas.

“”It’s going to be a great hurdling competition for Jennifer,”” Harvey said.

Whitlock said she is unfazed by the competition and expects to do well.

“”If you’re there, you’re competition for me,”” Whitlock said. “”Like in all of my races, the first thing I want to do is win.””

In the Rafer Johnson/JJK Invitational, Harvey said the relatively new meet should be a great way for distance runners and throwers to work on increasing their performance level.

“”The meet was put together approximately four years ago,”” Harvey said. “”We wanted to support that meet and try to get it underway, so there is a higher level of competition on the West Coast.””

Senior All-American distance runner Robert Cheseret and senior All-American thrower Sean Shields are expected to come out on top at the meet, Harvey said.

Both of these meets come after the first outdoor ranking of the season this week by the Trackwire Dandy Dozen.

Harvey said he was not surprised to hear the men’s team was ranked so high.

“”It’s not subjected to opinion,”” Harvey said. “”We have people on our team that have great times and can compete.””