Fatal Collision

Danville man is dead and others from the area are injured following a car crash Saturday that began as a pursuit with police.

Freddy J. Bates of Danville, 26, was killed as a result of the collision at Bismarck Road and Illinois Route 1 that occurred around 5:10 p.m. Saturday.

Bates was evading Potomac Police and a pursuit was in progress. While traveling south on Illinois Route 1, Bates moved into oncoming northbound traffic at Bismarck Road where a head-on collision occurred involving two more vehicles.

John E. Kessler, 46, of Bismarck, was transported by AirLife helicopter to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana where he is listed in critical condition.

Bates also was taken from the scene by another AirLife helicopter to Carle Foundation Hospital, but was pronounced dead at 7:38 p.m. by the Champaign County Coroner’s Office.

A passenger in Kessler’s vehicle, Anne E. Kessler, 49, of Bismarck, was transported by Bismarck Ambulance to Provena United Samaritans Medical Center, who was treated and released.

Bates, John Kessler and Anne Kessler, all had to be extricated from their vehicles before being taken from the scene.

A third driver involved in the collision, Kevin J. McConnell, 38, of Milford, was uninjured.

The crash continues to be under investigation by the Illinois State Police and the Champaign County Coroner’s Office.