‘All’s Well’ when Loft brings Shakespeare to Tucson

ALLS WELL THAT ENDS WELL, National Theatre 2009
CONLETH HILL (Parolles) and MICHELLE TERRY (Helena)
Photo by Simon Annand
    ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL, National Theatre 2009 CONLETH HILL (Parolles) and MICHELLE TERRY (Helena) Photo by Simon Annand

Care for a little piece of London culture here in sunny Tucson? Then check out National Theatre Live’s production of William Shakespeare’s “”All’s Well That Ends Well”” at The Loft Cinema on Oct. 25 and 26 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively.

The classic comedy was filmed in high definition during the performance on Oct. 1, when it was broadcast to over 11,000 viewers across the United Kingdom. Screenings continue throughout the world until Oct. 31.

The National Theatre is one of the premier theatrical companies in the world. This show is brought to The Loft and Tucson viewers through an initiative to bring fine art to the people at an affordable price and in a place where it can be easily accessible.

The show itself, Shakespeare’s late-period comedy “”All’s Well That Ends Well,”” is not one of the Bard’s most famous or best works, but it is nonetheless a fun romp through situations only Shakespeare could make believable.

When the smart but low-born Helena falls for the haughty, aristocrat Bertram, she will stop at no task too ridiculous as she tries to try to secure his love. It is certainly happier than most of Shakespeare’s work, and leaves the viewer with very compelling questions about the nature of pursuit and love.

According to National Theatre’s Web site, “”Set against a background of sexism, snobbery and a battle between the generations, Shakespeare’s ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL (sic) turns fairytale logic on its head. A wondrous, bittersweet story.””

The actors and the creative team at the National Theatre will undoubtedly do a wonderful job with the piece, which has received flattering reviews from London press. Reviewers noted the lush and creative staging of this production as being of particular note.

Tickets to the showings, 1 p.m. on Oct. 25 and 7 p.m. on Oct. 26, are $15 for general admission and $10 for Loft members. They are available for purchase now at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., or online at loftcinema.com.