“ASUA, SafeRide team up for free rides to the polls”

SafeRide driver Cynnamon Woodberry, a nutritional sciences senior, radios SafeRide dispatch while passenger Antonia Rodriguez, a physiology junior, fills out a survey judging the quality of the programs service. SafeRide will be offering students free transport to their polling locations on Election Day on Tuesday.
    SafeRide driver Cynnamon Woodberry, a nutritional sciences senior, radios SafeRide dispatch while passenger Antonia Rodriguez, a physiology junior, fills out a survey judging the quality of the program’s service. SafeRide will be offering students free transport to their polling locations on Election Day on Tuesday.

ASUA will be helping students get their votes in Tuesday by giving free rides to polling stations all day.

“”ASUA SafeRide … is actually providing a free ride to students who live on campus or who are on campus to their polling station,”” said Seema Patel, administrative vice president of Associated Students of the University of Arizona

“”We’re gonna have a car from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every hour at Old Main,”” Patel said.

She advised that students will need to know where their polling location is and will need to present a CatCard prior to entering the SafeRide vehicle. If students are unsure as to where their actual polling site is, they can visit www.recorder.pima.gov and that will direct them, Patel said.

At the voting site, students will need to present a driver’s license or a federal or state identification card. If they don’t possess either, students can use a utility bill in the student’s name, vehicle registration or insurance card. However, they will need two from the second group.

“”It’s in the best interest of the student to bring their driver’s license.”” Patel said.

Although the SafeRide cars will not wait for the students to finish voting before leaving, there will be a “”continuous circle”” of cars at the sites, Patel said. If there is a high demand for rides, Patel said they will “”definitely utilize multiple cars.””

“”They’re projecting that … Tucson citizens will be able to vote within an hour or an hour and a half (of arriving), so we will see how that actually works at high traffic hours.””

Patel said she just wanted students to use their voice during the election. “”We want to encourage students to vote and exercise their freedom to do so.””