Abor briefs

Report outlines roleof tuition, fee payments

The Arizona Board of Regents unanimously approved a comprehensive report outlining projected revenue and expenditures for the 2008 fiscal year at each university and the central office in its meeting yesterday.

Fifty-seven percent of tuition and fee revenues, totaling $472 million, will go to support the State Operating Budget, the report stated. The remainder of the revenue is split among the state’s three universities.

The regents asked for a future comparison of current and projected revenue based on the amount generated by unrestricted local funds, restricted gifts, grants and contracts.

The UA has seen a nearly $22.7 million net increase in unrestricted local funds, the money produced by investments, locally retained tuition and self-supporting designated funds, the report stated.

State funds, revenues generated by tuition, are not retained locally and must be accounted for in the report.

The Arizona Health Sciences Center was the main beneficiary of state funds. Its expenditures are estimated to increase nearly $8.1 million over the fiscal year, the report stated.

Temporary job assignment for UA head softball coach

The UA requested to reassign Mike Candrea, UA head softball coach, to a part-time temporary alternative duty assignment, so he will be able to coach the 2008 Olympic Softball team. He is under contract with the UA until June 30, 2009.

Regents voted and approved an amendment to his contract that permits him to coach for the Olympic softball team.

In 2003, a similar provision was made so Candrea could serve as head coach of the 2004 Olympic softball team.

This provision allows Candrea a temporary leave of absence and also provides incentives like an additional stipend of $6,667 if the team grade-point average is 3.1 or greater, or if the graduation rate exceeds 85 percent. Candrea would receive a stipend of $3,333 if the team GPA is 3.0 or greater, or the graduation rate exceeds 80 percent.

Technology and Research Initiative Fund gets finalized FY 2008 budget

Regents approved a revised report of the Technology and Research Initiative Fund, which was recently known as Proposition 301. The report initially came out June 30, and will be expanded to include the revised TRIF budget for the 2008 fiscal year.

It will submitted to Gov. Janet Napolitano and the state Legislature on Sept. 1.

Proposition 301 was passed by Arizona voters in November 2000. The proposition increased the state sales tax by 0.6 percent to generate supplemental revenue for universities, community colleges and K-12 schools. Collection of the tax began June 1, 2001, and has thus far raised $337 million. The money has been added to the TRIF.

As of March, the Board finalized revisions and approved the budgets for the 2007-2011 fiscal years.

The TRIF goes toward institutes, like BIO5, that promote biomedicine and biotechnology. TRIF programs are separated into four main sectors: biomedicine and biotechnology; optical sciences and technology; water and environmental sustainability; and educational and infrastructure.

The UA opted to expand the 2008 TRIF fiscal year budget to include an unexpected $8 million in funds that carried over from the 2007 fiscal year. The alteration brings UA’s total TRIF budget to $34.7 million.

The TRIF budget amounted to $104 million for the 2007 fiscal year. That amount included $33 million from funds left over from the last fiscal year and $71 million in new revenue.

University officials announced at the meeting the reorganization of its TRIF-funded initiatives. Currently funded TRIF initiatives will remain as they are; however, new initiatives will be grouped into clusters of programs organized by theme.

The officials explained that the university can focus on items in the broader spectrum by reorganizing the initiatives in this way. The change will demonstrate to regents that UA is focused on more comprehensive themes, and it will also reduce the reports that are submitted to ABOR, they said.

-compiled by Matt Lewis