Engineers hold car show

The UA Society of Automotive Engineers featured something to impress car lovers with Saturday.

The group hosted approximately 40 vehicles in the parking lot next to the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building. The second annual event drew a diverse crowd and an even more diverse group of entrants.

Vehicles included sports cars, military trucks, production cars, refurbished classic cars and an assortment of others that defied classification. The show also featured an 8-year-old solar-powered car.

“”We went around and talked to all the individual clubs: the Porsche Club, the Mini Club and a bunch of other ones,”” said organizer Joel Rhode, a mechanical engineering junior. “”Most of the cars here registered beforehand, but we kept the event open so anyone can just show up and put their car on display.””

Each vehicle was displayed with its make, model, owner and a list of modifications it contained. Most of the vehicles were owned by local automotive enthusiasts, but students claimed some of them.

Also on display was the group’s Formula SAE car, a small formula-style racecar it built as part of a student design competition.

The club competes with more than 140 schools at an annual competition next month in Detroit, for which students strive to design and race the best vehicle.

Each car is evaluated using a point system that evaluates based on design cost, fuel economy, racing performance and other criteria, Rhode said.

“”We get a rulebook we have to follow and then build the car from scratch,”” he said. “”There are a few parts we buy, but about 80 to 90 percent of the parts we build ourselves.””