An Arizona concert in the middle of the ocean

Music festivals are just so cool. Tons of bands, overpriced beer, port-a-potties, long lines, dirt, congested parking lots. Okay, maybe that was a rush judgment.

But what if there was a music festival that contained all the awesome bands, but never required you to wait twenty minutes to poop in a hole? And what if you could watch for dolphins and eat a buffet instead?

RockN the Seas, the newest concept in musical extravaganzas, is a gigantic Arizona music festival that never sets a foot in Arizona. More than 20 Arizona bands, along with a ton of hyped-up fans, will board a cruise ship in Los Angeles and set sail for three days of tunes, water and other precious liquids you can’t find in the ocean.

“”It’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever been involved with, and I’ve been playing music in Arizona for nearly 20 years,”” said Curtis Grippe from the Phoenix band Dead Hot Workshop.

Last year, Curtis was hesitant to make the trip to Ensenada, Mexico, and back, but after many of his local musician friends got involved, he decided to take the plunge. Come February, he will be showcasing three different bands on the ship.

“”Honestly from my own personal angle, I don’t view it so much as promoting Arizona music, as I see it an opportunity for people who’ve been around for so many years to get together with old friends and hang out with people we haven’t hung out with for years,”” he said. “”It’s kind of an opportunity to go back in time a little bit. It’s a lot of fun.””

In fact, Arizona isn’t the only state that’s jumped on the boat and done the music-at-sea thing. Wisconsin, Illinois and even New York are creating their own festivals with their own local bands. Even in Arizona, the festival began with mostly Phoenix bands and is now incorporating the Tucson area.

One way the promoters have chosen to do this is by holding a festival promotion concert at Club Congress this Saturday. Many of the acts that will be playing on the ship are going to grace the stages of Congress, including the Gin Blossoms, Authority Zero, and the Jons, a Tucson favorite.

During the concert, there will be information booths, sign up sheets, prizes and even a free giveaway where two people will win a spot on the cruise. Even if you can’t afford the trip, the concert is a great way to get a sense of it all and just enjoy a special night of Arizona music.

“”It’s trying to introduce people to the idea, let them get a glimpse of some of the bands that are going to be playing, turn them on to the website, let them know about pricing plans,”” said Grippe. “”I think it’s more to try to reach the fan base of some of the bands that are gonna be playing.””

Either way, you won’t have to use a port-a-potty.

RockN the Seas – “”Arizona at Sea”” Preview is at Club Congress Saturday at 9 p.m. Tickets cost $5 and the event is 21+.