Police Beat

A 17-year-old was paper-referred for minor in possession of alcohol at the intersection of East Seventh Street and North Fremont Avenue at 10:52 p.m. Tuesday.

An officer noticed the youth pushing a red bicycle and carrying plastic bags. The officer asked to speak with him, and he agreed. As they were talking, the officer saw one of the bags contained a six-pack of Guinness Extra Stout 12-ounce beer bottles.

The youth said he knew the legal drinking age was 21 in Arizona and allowed the officer to search the rest of his bags. The officer found a paper bag containing a bottle of Bushmills Irish Whiskey.

The youth said that earlier that night he gave an old man outside of UofA Liquors, 1002 E. Sixth St., $32 to buy him alcohol.

The youth was cited and released to his father. The alcohol was seized and disposed of at the University of Arizona Police Department station, 1852 E. First St.

? ? ?

Four students were watching the sunset on top of Highland Avenue Parking Garage, 1240 N. Highland Ave., at 7:10 p.m. Tuesday ,when officers arrived and began asking about the scent of burnt marijuana coming from the group.

The officers asked the men what they were doing, and they all said they were just watching the sunset together. When the officer asked if they had been smoking marijuana while watching the sunset, they all denied any marijuana use.

The officers then interviewed all four men individually. The first man said he had not been smoking marijuana, but his tongue had a green tinge to it, indicating marijuana use. He had nothing in his bag or on his body.

The second man admitted to smoking marijuana that evening and said that all four of the men had shared a marijuana cigarette. He added that they all owned the marijuana and had pitched in to purchase it.

The third man was visibly nervous. When the officers asked if he had smoked marijuana, he said, “”I am an Honors student. I have never seen marijuana and have no idea what it smells like,”” according to reports. The officer told this man that one of his friends admitted to smoking and said that they all had smoked, but the man denied it.

The fourth man admitted to smoking the marijuana with the other three men while watching the sunset.

The first man was interviewed again, and he admitted to smoking on the garage.

The third man continued to deny having smoked marijuana.

A incident report including all four men was written and sent to the Dean of Students Office.

An officer’s standard security check of Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., turned into a marijuana bust Monday night.

The officer noticed a vehicle on the top level of the garage and saw that it was occupied by three men who were attempting to stay out of the officer’s view.

The driver rolled down his window when the officer approached, and a strong odor of marijuana could be detected.

The officer looked at the man in the driver’s seat and said, “”I can smell it, just hand it over. You know what I’m talking about,”” according to reports. The man nodded his head up and down and then handed the officer a clear plastic baggie containing 5.5 grams of a green, leafy substance.

The driver claimed ownership of the marijuana. He said only he and one other man had smoked it. The other men in the vehicle confirmed as much.

The officer asked the men if there was anything else that need to be handed over. The driver said, “”There’s a pipe in the backseat,”” according to reports. He admitted ownership.

The driver was cited and released for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. The other man who had smoked was cited for use of marijuana.

The officer placed the marijuana into evidence.

A student was stopped by employees at the Cactus Grill, 1303 E. University Blvd., for stealing three bottled drinks at 6:35 p.m. Monday.

One employee said he saw the man put the bottles in his backpack and walk to the cash register to pay for his fruit but not the drinks.

The man said he had filled up a container with fruit, but because his hands were full he put the drinks in his backpack. When he went to the register, he forgot to pay for the drinks, he said.

The man asked if he could pay for the drinks, which totaled $4, and did so with his CatCard.

He was diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

A Tomdra Inc. employee reported a destroyed a CatCard reader on one of his vending machines at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., at an unknown time.

The man said it was the CatCard reader on the Tomdra frozen vending machine located on the first floor of the residence hall. He told an officer he had received many calls about the broken machine, and someone called to report a CatCard stuck in the machine.

The employee told the officer that when he removed the reader, there was no card left in the machine. He said he would try to extract any usable data from the machine to help find a suspect.