Arizona football falls to Cal by 18 points, moves to 2-2 on the season

Ryan Wohl

The Arizona Wildcats are currently playing the California Berkeley Golden Bears at California Memorial stadium on September 24. 

BERKELEY, Calif. — The University of Arizona and University of California, Berkeley met at California Memorial stadium for the first time since 2017 and it was a high-scoring game, unlike last season’s game.

Last year we only saw 13 total points scored in the entire game, and today 80 total points were scored with Cal beating Arizona 49-31.

“I think overall we just need to do a better job coaching, better job playing, better job finishing, finishing tackles, finishing blocks, finishing runs, finishing catches and you can’t win a game when you turn it over three times and take it away zero,” Arizona head coach Jedd Fisch said.

A key part of Arizona’s game plan has been to run the ball early effectively, and they hit the 100-plus yard mark in today’s game. As a team, they finished the game with 135 total rushing yards with two touchdowns. Running back Michael Wiley led the group with 14 carries for 79 yards and one score.

The Golden Bears had an incredible day running the ball. They had 354 total rushing yards, with running back Jaydn Ott having 274 of them with three touchdowns. Ott’s 274 yards in the game was the third-most in school history during a single game.

Arizona quarterback Jayden de Laura had a good game, where he completed 27 of 45 passes for a total of 401 yards and two touchdowns but threw two late-game interceptions.

His top target so far has been wide receiver Jacob Cowing, who caught seven passes for 133 total yards and a touchdown. Freshmen Tetairoa McMillan had a quiet first quarter but caught a touchdown pass midway through the second quarter. McMillan finished the contest with 3 catches for 59 total yards and a score.

Tight end Tanner McLachlan continued to be a huge part of the Wildcats offense. He caught six balls for a total of 88 yards, which is the most that an Arizona tight end has had since 2017.

Cal starting quarterback Jack Plummer, brother of Arizona quarterback Will Plummer, has played well so far. He had 245 passing yards along with three touchdown passes.

Fisch said after the game that freshman running back Rayshon “Speedy” Luke got his high ankle sprain fixed and will miss four to six weeks.

“I think that as we are building this program unfortunately these games can occur where we have opportunities but don’t seize them,” Fisch said.

RELATED: From Arizona footballer to UFC fighter: How Mohammed Usman changed his life path

This is the first time that Cal has defeated Arizona since 2009 and breaks the Wildcats’ six-game winning streak in this matchup.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter