College life normal

January 10, 1919          

Among the great local, economical and social changes which have occurred as a result of the world peace negotiations, has been the restorations of our college community normal conditions. Of course our student body is not of normal size as yet but those of us who re here will try to make up for any deficiency in numbers.

The full number of college courses as offered in the catalogue will be given this year at the periods from January first to June twenty-sixth. The personnel of the faculty is as good as ever sine all vacancies have been filled by competent people.

Socialy the campus is normal and every week end will evidence festive activities hence this part of our college education is not to be neglected entirely even though our class work is more intensive than ever.

Perhaps the most interesting change on our campus has been the sudden transition, in less than a month, from a very efficient military training campus, boasting six hundred men, to a regular thriving University such as has never before been known in the history of the Southwest. Te only remaining evidence on the training camp of war times are the temporary wooden structures which have been, respectively the barracks, cook house, auto shops, hospital and “”Y”” hut. With the exception of the “”Y”” hut, which is being used as a social center for the men students, all of these buildings are standing idle. Frankly we hope that there will never be any more use for any of them in a military way.

The one thing that has pleased everyone the most is the fact that most of the ex U. of A. men who have been in the service are returning to the institution and to their college work as fast as they can negotiation their official dismissal form the carious organizations with which they have been connected. This is obviously mutually complimentary to the students and the university as well. First it is complimentary to the students because they have seen fit to continue their life’s work and to fit themselves for life’s battle by first finishing their education. The university is complimented by the fact that the men are turning to it rather to other universities all over the world. All of the retuning men have traveled extensively while in the service and they have visited at and have been cordially welcomed by man y of the greataest universities all over the world. They have also met successful men of all types everywhere. Thus they have all had the opportunity to weigh and compare many institutions with the result that there turn to good old University of Arizona.

That higher education is essential to success and leadership is now an undisputed fact as has been proven in a thousand ways in the recent world war. The great war was literally a battle of wits and perseverance. The brutal and grewsome Hun was driven back like a whipped cur by organizations which were officered and led principally by college men. On the other hand the education of the few members of the upper class and the ignorance and habitual submission of the many is typically exemplified by the disastrous downfall of Germany which was at one time among the leading nations of the world. Our menhave all realized this and are leaning commissions and high salaries in order to complete their education in compliance to the appeal of our government for educated men and for a larger percentage of college trained men in military and civil life.

“”Now that the epidemic is a thing of the past in Massachusetts, the armistice with Germany signed, the fighting ended, and victory celebrated for two glorious but strenuous days, who of us has not uttered a sigh of relief and thought “”What next-“” “”What next-“” — that is a natural question, and one which must by given adequate thought.

The cessation of hostilities does not mean a cessation of our efforts in every branch of endeavor, as some might be inclined to believe. Efforts greater than before will be demanded of each of us in the huge task of readjustment if we continue to do our bit. Not only is trained help needed for rebuilding the devastated region of Belgium and France, and for the reorganization of Russia, but it is needed also in our own beloved land, where the activities of way must be transformed to those of peace. Our students have also their after-war responsibilities to the Department. Studies can now be resumed with a will.

It was easy to work and to sacrifice as long as the war continues — easy for all of us who knew what disaster and allied failure would bring us. But the work of reconstruction is not so spectacular, not so dramatic, and its aims are easily lost sight of. There will be much for each one of us to do in the great work of bringing about ‘better-then-before the-war’ conditions; and each of us, now of all times, should be preparing himself, for the greatest possible service.

Education is of the utmost value in this preparation. The government has realized this, and is continuing the training of thousands of young men at different colleges and schools for the work which will be expected of them. The War Department saw the need and acted accordingly. Plans for giving educational work to our boys in France who are waiting to return are also under consideration. During the last eighteen months education had undergone a change never dreamed of in such a short period of time. The most important activity, so essential to the welfare and progress of our nation, is being recognized, with the result that a movement in on foot to have a Secretary of Education in the President’s Cabinet. Now is the time to avail ourselves personally of every opportunity offered to increase out stock of knowledge and future value to the country. Now is the time to resume our studies, temporarily abandoned, with renewed vigor, purpose, and enthusiasm. Let us make ourselves ready.

Vinton Hayes, now on the U.S.S. Pittsburg expects to return to the University as soon as conditions permit him to do so.