Construction irks some nearby

While construction around the Arizona Stadium is not bothersome to some, others feel the noise distracts them from school work.

The project, which began this month, aims to expand the football stadium capacity, revenue and design. The project is slated to be complete around June of 2013, and will cost about $72.3 million.

Some students expressed concern as to where this money was coming from, but Athletic Director Greg Byrne said the money was not coming from student tuition. Funding to expand the stadium will come from various independent family donors, he said, and the rest will be paid off over the next 30 years on a bond-selling program.

According to UA’s Planning, Design and Construction website, “construction of the new north end-zone facility at Arizona Stadium will provide upgraded premium seating and fan amenities, relocate and provide new facilities for the football program and provide new concourses cross connecting access to the east and west stadium seating.”

Since the project started, some students living close to the construction site have complained about it being inconvenient, loud and obnoxious during the day.

Bryan Yabut, a biology freshman, said the construction doesn’t wake him up in the mornings but, “when you wake up that’s all you hear throughout the whole day.” He said that it doesn’t bother him when he’s trying to get work done, but that it’s annoying not to be able to walk outside the back of his dorm, Hopi Lodge Residence Hall, to get to the Student Recreation Center or go down to Highland Market.

“Basically from where I am I can’t hear it at all,” said undeclared freshman Sean Bugas, a Hopi Lodge resident. “But I’m sure that in other places on the other side of the dorm people can probably hear it, but I don’t know how much or of what significant level they hear it.”

Next door at Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall, Freddie Gabos, a pre-business freshman, said he was concerned with how much money is being spent on the project. Noise from the construction is not affecting him, he said.

“I haven’t really noticed anything, it hasn’t woken me up so it doesn’t bother me,” Gabos added.

Paige Dunn-Albertie, assistant director of Residential Education, said she has not heard any noise complaints as of yet from residence hall residents.

“I have not heard any, but that does not mean it hasn’t happened,” she said.

Although the construction does not make too much noise now, noise levels will start increasing “very shortly,” according to project manager Eric Grenz. He said that workers will start drilling within the next week and a half, and shortly after they will start bringing and pouring concrete. This will be louder than the work happening at the construction zone now, he said.