Concert Preview: Mash-up master Girl Talk

The Rialto Theatre will be hosting a man and a laptop – a project known as Girl Talk.

“”When I started, I was part of an experimental music scene. … There was kind of an overly academic, overly serious tangent to that world, so I was kind of using pop music as an act of rebellion,”” said Gregg Gillis, the man behind the computer.

Gillis does not create your average mix. His songs are compiled from 10 to 20 songs from other artists – songs that are stretched, mashed, choreographed and incestuously crushed into a different format that rarely resembles any of the music from which it was formed.

“”Girl Talk seemed like a very glossy, over-the-top band name that sounded like a 10-year-old girl’s band, which was the opposite of the stoic style of underground experimental music that I was a part of,”” Gillis said.

His most recent release, Feed the Animals, is made up of 300-plus samples in 50 minutes.

Gillis said the album was a two-year process that drudged along as he worked on new material at shows. During his performances, he’d trigger samples and gauge the crowd’s reaction, keeping everything in mind for the album.

“”It is a constantly evolving process,”” he said.

Hitting it big since his last album, Night Ripper, Gillis has quit his day job as a biomedical engineer and concentrates fully on touring and music.

Well known for putting on shows that end up with half the audience onstage dancing and Gillis in his skivvies, this is surely not an experience to miss.