Date Book

Wednesday, August 2

• Health Screening. University Physicians Healthcare Eye Care Center is offering free glaucoma screenings. Glaucoma is the leading cause of preventable blindness in the U.S. and can be symptomless, but early detection can preserve sight. Screenings include glaucoma risk factors evaluation, eye pressure and blood pressure measurements, visual acuity exam, and peripheral vision check. 1 p.m. Call 520-694-1460 to make an appointment. UPH Hospital at Kino Campus, 2800 E. Ajo Way

Thursday, August 3

• Doctoral Oral Defense. Come listen to Roshni Menon’s doctoral oral defense in family and consumer sciences titled, “”Determinants of Parental Beliefs: The Role of Proximal Influences in the Maintenance and Revision of Parental Beliefs.”” 9 a.m. Family and Consumer Resources building, Room 219
  • Doctoral Oral Defense. Ali Tabesh is to defend his electrical and computer engineering dissertation titled “”Compression and Classification of Imagery.”” 9 a.m. Electrical and Computer Engineering building, Room 410-C
  • Doctoral Final Oral Defense. Doctoral candidate Jessica L. Collett is to present her final defense of her dissertation, “”Third Party Intervention and Relationship Outcomes: Extending Social Exchange Theory Through the Incorporation of Intermediaries.”” 10 a.m. Social Sciences building, Room 407A
  • Friday, August 4

• Doctoral Oral Defense. Interested in MRI technology and techniques? Learn more by attending Zhiqiang Li’s oral defense of “”Novel Body Magnetic Resonance Imaging Techniques.”” 1:30 p.m. Radiology Research Building (Building 211) at the Arizona Health Sciences Center, Radiology Conference Room