Pederson’s camp to bring Clinton to speak in Tucson

Bill Clinton
    Bill Clinton

Former President Bill Clinton will stop by Tucson tonight to supportDemocratic Senate candidate Jim Pederson in his first visit since a 2002 appearance at Sunnyside High School.

Pederson and Democratic Rep. Raul Grijalva will host the event and members of UA Young Democrats will be staffing it, said David Martinez III, a pre-education senior and member of UAYD.

In addition, UAYD has been helping out with promotion of the event for months, especially through online sites such as Facebook and MySpace, Martinez said.

“”We want to get Democrats elected to provide for a new political direction,”” Pederson said.

Mark Bergman, a spokesman for Pederson, said Clinton’s visit is part of his national tour promoting Democratic candidates around the country.

“”We’re excited that Clinton is going to Tucson,”” Bergman said. “”We hope that Clinton will get Democrats out, because we are vying for a change in Washington.””

Martinez said Pederson has a special affinity for Tucson because he’s a UA alumnus.

“”Pederson is excited to make his way down to Tucson. He loves it down here,”” Martinez said.

Bergman said he expects the rally to attract about 200 people and last about an hour.

Pederson held a private fundraiser yesterday with former presidential candidate Al Gore and then proceeded to Tucson for a press conference with Gov. Janet Napolitano.

“”They are meeting to discuss the differences in civilian pay and National Guard pay,”” Bergman said. “”Right now, National Guard members are actually losing money while they are serving in Iraq.””

The free event will begin at 6:30 p.m. at Reid Park’s outdoor performance center. Those who wish to attend can attain tickets by visiting Pederson’s campaign office or online at www.Pederson2006.com.

The Young Democrats is not the only group rallying for candidates.

The UA College Republicans will be part of the Republican Rally of the Year on Monday at 12:15 p.m. at Pima Air and Space Museum, 6000 E. Valencia Road, said Blake Rebling, president of the UA College Republicans.

Sen. Jon Kyl, along with Randy Graf, Ron Drake, Len Munsil, Secretary of State Jan Brewer and Bill Montgomery will be in attendance, Rebling said.