Police Beat

Police arrested a woman for false reporting, possession of drug paraphernalia, violation of a promise to appear in court and a suspended license near Speedway Boulevard and Plumer Avenue on July 24.

Police conducted a routine records check before noticing a warrant out for the woman’s arrest. She told police she didn’t have any identification on her and verbally identified herself with a false name.

The officer smelt burnt marijuana coming from inside the vehicle and checked the description in her warrant, realizing she lied about her name.

The officer then called the woman by her real name to which she responded, “”Oh damn,”” and said she lied because she has a warrant out for her arrest. After arresting her, the officer conducted a search and found a black-handled smoking pipe in the woman’s purse pocket that smelt of marijuana. The officer also found her Arizona driver’s license and identification card in the purse.

Her vehicle was towed and impounded and she was booked into Pima County Jail.

A man flagged down police in reference to his stolen bicycle on Fourth Street and Cherry Avenue at around 6:30 p.m. July 24.

The man told police he walked out of the UA Main Library and discovered his bike was stolen. He said he parked his bike in the racks in front of the library and secured it with a cable lock through the frame.

The man did not have the serial number of the bike. Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police found a man and a woman sleeping at the Sun Tran bus stop near Campbell Avenue and Speedway Boulevard at 1:15 a.m. July 23.

After interviewing them, police conducted a records check, which revealed that they both had outstanding misdemeanor warrants.

The man had a failure to appear warrant for an assault charge and another for failure to appear for a possession of drug paraphernalia charge. The woman had an outstanding warrant for failure to appear for an assault charge.

Both individuals were arrested and booked into Pima County Jail.

Police noticed two men acting suspicious in front of an electrical equipment shop on 603 N. Mountain Ave. at around 2 a.m. July 23.

One of the men had unidentified items in his hands while he walked behind a UA maintenance truck. The other was bent over by the southwest wall of the parking lot. He noticed the cop car, stood up and started walking toward East Fort Lowell Road, saying something to the other man. The other man made a startled expression, dropped a dark object near the front of the truck, picked it up and started following the other man toward his vehicle.

When police stopped the men for questioning they said that they were just driving through campus and stopped to get a drink at a water fountain. Police searched their vehicles and found two rolls of wire on the ground where the other man had been bent over. Police also found three spools of wire in a brush near the tire.

A shop employee identified the wires as originating from the shop’s vehicles and said he thought a pair of 36-inch bolt cutters found in the other man’s vehicle also came from the shop.

Police searched the car and also found a gas can, three drill bits, a Phillips screwdriver, a Ryobi drill and battery, a serpentine belt, wrenches and other tools. Police also noticed a plastic toy gun and a soft drink can with burnt marijuana residue on it.

When police asked the man about his soft drink, he yelled, “”That’s my jumper cables motherfucker! The rest of that stuff is his,”” referring to his friend, according to reports.

A records check disclosed felony and misdemeanor warrants on a man with a different name than the ones the two men gave police.

The warrant information disclosed a tattoo on the left wrist of the suspect, and police found a matching tattoo on one of the men.

He responded with, “”Damn, I guess you got me,”” and said the other man was his brother.

Both men were booked into Pima County Jail.

Jail staff found a small plastic bag with 0.8 grams of copper chips sewn into the lining of one of the men’s shoe.

An unidentified person switched the men’s restroom sign with the woman’s on the sixth floor of the Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., on July 23.

A UA research professor said she noticed that someone had switched the signs July 22 and told faculty to fix them. The next day, she noticed the men’s sign was missing.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

An employee at the Flandrau Science Center told police July 23 she received 16 harassing phone calls from a female she did not know.

All but one of the calls had been erased from the employee’s phone. In the message that was saved, a woman spoke of her brain cancer, her family lying to have her committed and her new apartment manager being a Muslim.

The employee told police that the woman had left several similar messages on the Flandrau planetarium’s switchboard system in late May. None of the staff said they knew the woman who left the messages.

An Internet search revealed the woman lived in Midlothian, Ill. The officer spoke with the Midlothian Police Department, which confirmed that the woman had numerous welfare and telephone harassment calls against her and that she was diagnosed with a mental illness in 2004.

Midlothian police spoke with the woman, who denied calling Flandrau but added she understood and would “”stop doing what you said I did.””

Police told the UA employee to contact them if the calls continued.

Police responded to a report of suspicious activity in the Science and Engineering Library, 845 N. Highland Ave., at around 5 p.m. July 23.

A graduate student told police he had been studying in a room on the fifth floor all day and left to get something. As he shut the door, the vent at the bottom of the door fell out. The eight screws securing it had been completely removed and were nowhere in the area.

The student told police he left the same room the night before and didn’t notice any problems with the vent.

Maintenance fixed and properly secured the vent. Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police responded to a report about a woman who refused to pay her $8 taxi fare July 22.

A Yellow Cab employee told police he picked up the woman from East Second Street and North Cherry Avenue after police had cited and released her for underage drinking. The woman told the officer she would call a taxi to take her home and that she had enough money to pay for it. The cab driver said the woman told him to stop at the Circle K on 977 E. Speedway Blvd. so she could use the ATM machine.

After a few moments, she ran from the store, running north on Park Avenue before crossing on Speedway. The cab driver lost sight of her after that and was delayed at a red light. He was unable to report the incident right away because he didn’t have a cell phone. He told police he wants to pursue charges against the woman.

Police left a message on the woman’s cell phone asking her to contact UAPD. No further information was available.