Maui: An ocean away

Worlds away from the hustle and bustle of Hawaii’s main tourist destination, Honolulu, Maui offers a warm solitude hard to find anywhere else in the United States. Hawaii’s second-biggest island is a great place to visit and won’t necessarily leave you broke. Non-stop flights out of Phoenix are as low as $220 and offer a nice alternative to the usual vacation hot spots for UA students. Besides, your trip to Maui will probably be cheaper than the medical bills you’d have from that STD you picked up in Rocky Point.

Goofy Foot Surf School
    505 Front Street
    www.goofyfootsurfschool.com/

Maui’s relaxed vibe also trickles down to outdoor activities on the island. If you’re looking to try surfing, check out the Goofy Foot Surf School in Lahaina. A day surfing in Maui is a lot more low-key than the North Shore of Oahu. Nobody’s competing for waves and falling off your board isn’t going to kill you.

Haleakala Bike Co.
    www.bikemaui.com

One of the most distinguishable features of Maui is the 10,000-foot high Haleakala volcano that makes up 75 percent of the island. Local businesses offer bike rentals and van rides to the summit. Visitors can wake up early to catch the sunrise from the volcano’s summit and then take a 26-mile bike ride down the mountain.

Makena Black Sand Beach

In Florida, Southern California or even Honolulu, you’ll have to struggle to find a spot on the beach; don’t be surprised if in Maui you find few hundred feet of ocean and sand to yourself. The black sand beach at Makena State Park is one of the most unused beaches on Maui and a great place to spend a day relaxing.

Kahekili Highway

Driving down the winding, one-lane Kahekili Highway on Maui’s northern coast is one of the most peaceful and surreal experiences a person can have. Human presence is only recorded by the thin stretch of road and the occasional fence or passing sign. Step out of your car and you can hear your ears smile at the absence of noise.