Police Beat: Feb. 11

‘You can’t pull me over!’

A non-UA affiliated male was arrested for failing to stop for a police vehicle on Wednesday at 12:13 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department patrol car noticed a vehicle traveling at a very slow speed along Campbell Avenue.

One of the officers checked the vehicle’s speed and observed it traveling at 27 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The officer continued following the vehicle north on Campbell Avenue.

At Second Street, the vehicle swerved and crossed a lane divider. The driver of the vehicle quickly corrected the vehicle and returned to the middle lane.

The vehicle’s speed then dropped to 25 mph. At Helen Avenue, the vehicle swerved again, almost striking the curb.

As the vehicle passed Grant Avenue, on Campbell Avenue, it was still traveling at only 25 mph.

The officer then turned on the patrol vehicle’s emergency lights around Water Street.

The driver continued north until Copper Street and turned left. The car continued on Copper Street for a considerable distance.

The entire time, the officers had the patrol vehicle’s emergency lights activated.

The driver never accelerated as if trying to get away. Other vehicles on Campbell Avenue saw the emergency lights and pulled to the right of the roadway.

The driver came to a stop at his own home and came out of the vehicle with his hands in his hooded sweater.

The driver walked aggressively toward the officers.

The officers stepped out of the vehicle and told the man to remove his hands from his pockets.

“”You’re university cops! You can’t pull me over! This is a joke or something,”” the man said with his hands still in his pockets.

An officer made the man sit down next to his vehicle, obtained his Arizona driver’s license and ran a records check.

The man’s driver’s license was suspended and the officer informed the man that his vehicle was going to be impounded.

As the officer spoke to the man, the officer smelled a moderate odor of alcohol.

The officer conducted a DUI investigation and determined that the man was not impaired.

The officer arrested the man for driving on a suspended license and for failing to stop for a fully marked police vehicle.

Cops curb custodial confrontation

UAPD officers quelled a verbal argument between two custodians on Tuesday at 7:36 p.m.

A UAPD officer responded to the Modern Languages building after a call about a verbal altercation between two UA employees.

Upon arrival, the officer met with the two men involved in the argument.

Both subjects were standing but not exchanging words.

The supervisor said he asked the custodian to go home for the night, but the custodian refused.

The supervisor saw the custodian pick up a wooden broom and was afraid that he was going to use it as a weapon.

Another officer arrived, and the two began interviewing the men in question.

The custodian said that he never planned on using the broom as a weapon against the supervisor and only wanted to return back to work.

He did, however, tell the officer that he never got along with his supervisor.

The custodian said that a week or two prior, a shop vacuum that he was responsible for had been stolen.

Since that incident, the supervisor has constantly reminded the custodian to lock the the vacuum and other supplies in the custodial closet, said the custodian.

On Tuesday, the custodian took the vacuum from the closet and left it in the hall while cleaning a bathroom, which starting the argument between he and his supervisor.

The supervisor corroborated that he believes the custodian continues to leave the closet unlocked.

Because the supervisor felt threatened when confronting the custodian about the issue, the supervisor asked for the custodian’s keys and for the custodian to go home for the night.

The custodian has been employed for over 30 years and said that he thinks his supervisors want him out.

The associate director for facilities management arrived and spoke with both parties.

The argument will be dealt with internally at facilities management, said the associate director.

Laptops stolen from administration

Two laptops were stolen from the fifth floor of the Administration building sometime between Feb. 4 and Feb. 6.

A UA employee reported the laptops stolen on Tuesday at 8:28 a.m.

A UAPD officer arrived to the administration building and met with the employee.

The employee noticed the two laptops — a Dell and a Macbook — were missing from a fifth floor office.

The employee did not know anyone who would steal the laptops.

Access to the office is available to multiple employees with a key.

There is no video surveillance footage available from the office, but the office was in regular use between those two dates.

The laptops were last known to be stored outside of their original packaging in the top cabinet shelf of the office said the employee.

Yet, the employee did not know of anyone who was aware of the location of the two laptops.

Victim’s Rights forms were mailed to the UA.