“Homosexuals afraid to tell about assaults, officer says”

Wednesday, November 14, 1984

The local gay community is reluctant to report crimes committed against them because they are afraid of a negative response from the straight community and possible harassment from officers, a Tucson police officer said at forum focusing on crime against homosexuals.

More than 30 men and women attended The Tucson Lesbian and Gay Pride Committee forum Monday night at the Tucson Fine Line, 101 W. Drachman St.

Members of the gay community are not reporting crimes, especially sexual assaults, because of a fear of “”the reaction of authorities and the society,”” said Lt. Lyle Mann, special investigator with the Tucson Police Department. Homosexuals may be reluctant to report the assaults because in naming an attacker, they expose their own sexual preference.

“”They (homosexuals) are afraid of harassment and being laughed at,”” Mann said.

“”The major problem is the attitude of the individual officer,”” said Patrick Dooley, a University of Arizona radio-television junior. “”Prejudice runs through society and police are included.””

One suggestion raised at the forum to reduce this anxiety was to have a gay person accompany the officer investigating a sexual-assault case.

The person would act as mediatory between officer and victim, Mann said.

Members of the Tucson Lesbian and Gay Pride Committee plan to discuss possible implementation of the mediator plan within two weeks.