Seniors to carry on graduation traditions

Psychology senior and Dirtbags bartender Samantha Villaflor mixes drinks last Monday. As per UA tradition, Dirtbags opens at 6 a.m. Saturday for
    Psychology senior and Dirtbag’s bartender Samantha Villaflor mixes drinks last Monday. As per UA tradition, Dirtbag’s opens at 6 a.m. Saturday for

Graduating seniors are planning to celebrate their exodus from the UA with traditions of past graduates and some traditions of their own.

One that has been carried through the years is going to the bars at 6 a.m. Saturday for drinks.

Anita Lee, a senior majoring in chemical engineering and mathematics, said she has heard that students head out to Dirtbag’s Bar, 1800 E. Speedway Blvd., or the Buffet, 538 E. Ninth St., before the commencement ceremonies begin. Both bars will open right at 6 a.m.

“”A lot of my friends are going,”” Lee said. “”I haven’t decided if I will.””

Either way, Lee said she will be participating in the morning commencement ceremony.

Another senior tradition is to jump into Old Main Fountain in the middle of the night, although some seniors said this stunt is harder to pull off.

Natalie Mitchell, an

interdisciplinary studies senior, said she doesn’t have any UA traditions in mind for graduation.

“”Just celebrating with family is the main thing,”” she said.

Still, she might participate in the tradition of tossing tortillas at the commencement ceremony.

“”I heard

I want to buy a T-shirt from all of my favorite bars and restaurants here.

– Natalie Mitchell,
    interdisciplinary studies senior

that’s what’s pretty much required,”” said Trevor Brandel, a media arts senior, who plans to take some tortillas with him.

Mitchell and Brandel said they also plan to party with friends one last time.

Brandel said he recently went to Oregano’s Pizza Bistro, which has been a favorite spot of his to eat in Tucson.

Mitchell said she also hopes to visit some of her favorite restaurants before moving back to Oregon.

“”I want to buy a T-shirt from all of my favorite bars and restaurants here,”” she said.

Mitchell made one last trip to the Main Library last week also.

“”I had like 20 books out. I wanted to get them all back so they’ll let me graduate,”” she said.