Hot-handed Lobos too much for Cats

Arizona guard Ashley Whisonant tries to split New Mexicos Katie Montgomery, left, and Dionne Marsh during the Wildcats 76-63 loss to the Lobos last night in McKale Center. Montgomery finished with 18 points for the Lobos.
    Arizona guard Ashley Whisonant tries to split New Mexico’s Katie Montgomery, left, and Dionne Marsh during the Wildcats’ 76-63 loss to the Lobos last night in McKale Center. Montgomery finished with 18 points for the Lobos.

No. 23 New Mexico shot lights out in the first half and never let up, rolling to a 76-63 win over Arizona last night in front of 1,956 fans in McKale Center.

The Lobos (6-2) had a hot start, leading by as many as 13 points early in the first half. Arizona (5-4) narrowed the gap toward halftime, trailing by only two points, but the Wildcats couldn’t stop New Mexico’s shooting attack in the second half, as the Lobos finished shooting 53 percent from the field.

“”This was a difficult loss,”” UA head coach Joan Bonvicini said. “”New Mexico came in from the get-go and their guards lit it up.””

The Lobos shot 65 percent in the first half during their scoring onslaught, and Lobo forward Julie Briody had 25 points, including a 6-of-6 mark from 3-point territory.

“”We did not counter well, and we definitely did not put enough pressure on them,”” Bonvicini said. “”Our post played well, but we need to be able to show an inside and an outside game.

“”This loss was not acceptable. We have better players than this.””

The Wildcats had four players finish in double figures, but their 42 percent shooting still was not enough to match up with the Lobos.

Due to injuries, Arizona’s starting five was a bit different than previous games.

Center Shannon Hobson started in place of Suzy Bofia and tacked on 10 points in 21 minutes.

“”It’s good to know that my coaches have confidence in me, but I’m really just here to do what my team needs me to do,”” Hobson said. “”If that means starting or being a spark off the bench, then that’s fine.””

Despite coming off the bench, Bofia led the team in scoring with 14 points on 7-of-9 shooting in 23 minutes.

Freshman forward Rhaya Neabors started in place of her twin sister, Rheya, who learned she will miss at least two weeks with a stress reaction – essentially a weakening of the bone – in her right foot.

Neabors is now the second twin on the Arizona squad to go down for an extended period of time, joining center Beatrice Bofia, who is out for the season after tearing her anterior cruicate ligament.

After scoring in double figures in her last seven outings, redshirt senior guard Joy Hollingsworth recorded only six points and missed all five 3-point attempts.

“”I need to step up,”” said Hollingsworth, who still averages over 15 points per game. “”Coach has told me that I’m better than this.””

For the Lobos, the victory marks the team’s fifth straight.

“”We ran our offense well,”” New Mexico head coach Don Flanagan said. “”We started getting good opportunities and spreading them out. They switched defenses several times, and I thought we adjusted quite well each time.””

Bonvicini expressed much frustration after the contest.

“”We did not communicate well, so we need to be more vocal,”” she said. “”We have to know who the shooters are. New Mexico had too many open looks (last night).””