Dual-threat QB Scott joins 2008 class

Although Matt Scott was the seventh verbal commitment for the 2008 Arizona football team, he may be the most coveted.

Scott, a three-star quarterback out of Centennial High School in Corona, Calif., had additional offers from Minnesota, California, Washington, San Diego State, Boise State and Utah.

“”I just thought (Arizona) was a good opportunity for me,”” Scott said. “”I was the first quarterback they took (for the class of 2008), so I feel like I have an advantage over the other quarterbacks going in.””

Scott said he had a tough decision once he narrowed down his choices to Minnesota and Arizona. He realized Tucson would be a better fit because it was closer to home.

“”I picked the location so my parents could come see me, and it’s not too far if I need to come home,”” Scott said. “” I am going to have to compete no matter where I go, whether it’s Arizona or Minnesota.””

Scott would be a great fit at Arizona because he ran the spread offense in high school and is comfortable with it, said Allen Wallace, national recruiting editor of www.scout.com. The Wildcats introduce a spread offense in the vein of Texas Tech’s this season.

“”He is just a good overall athlete,”” Wallace said. “”He has a quick release and a strong arm, and he is already familiar with the system that Arizona runs.

“”The main thing you need to find out when you’re talking about a quarterback is if he has the intangibles to make it at the collegiate level. In recruiting, there are always numerous great high school prospects who don’t translate on the field when they get to be in the college game.””

Scott remains confident.

“”I am just going to work hard and try to learn the offense as best as I can in my first year,”” he said. “”You are just going to compete anywhere you go, so the only thing I can do is give it my best.””

Scott joined Gerell Robinson, Trace Biskin, Kenny Barnes, Keola Antolin, Robert Golden and Clarence Ward as current 2008 commitments. Prospects can sign national letters of intent in February.

Gerell Robinson, QB, WR, DB

Arizona received a verbal commitment from four-star recruit Gerell Robinson on June 18. Robinson, out of Hamilton High School in Chandler, Ariz., has played extensively at quarterback, defensive back and wide receiver.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound recruit played quarterback his sophomore year at Desert Vista High School in Phoenix, but has since logged time at two other positions since transferring to Hamilton for his junior

season.

Although he recorded 72 tackles and eight interceptions in his junior campaign, Robinson said his main focus when attending Arizona will be at quarterback.

“”I am only looking to play quarterback,”” Robinson said. “”To play all three of my positions, it gave me a good point from every position to read the field. I have gained a lot of experience from all of the positions, which helps me make the proper reads in certain situations.””

Arizona could find itself deep at quarterback position in 2008, as Scott and Robinson would be slated to compete behind Willie Tuitama and Bryson Beirne.

However, Robinson told the Wildcat in February that he plans to field offers from teams again if Arizona doesn’t win eight games next season.

Although Robinson’s intentions are solely at quarterback, he said if Scott beat him out he would be happy to lend his skills at his other positions.

“”I am not really worried about (the competition), because I know what I can do,”” Robinson said. “”I am ready to step in and show that once I learn the offense, I know I can add another dimension in not only passing but also in the run game.””

Robinson has also received interest from UCLA, ASU, Florida, Nebraska, Minnesota and Oregon but chose Arizona because it seemed like a comfortable situation for him.

“”I felt at home,”” Robinson said.

Robert Golden, DB

A team that has continually relied on its defense in recent years, Arizona should welcome more help to its secondary in 2008. It received a verbal commitment from four-star defensive back Robert Golden, of Edison High School in Fresno, Calif., on May 4.

Despite persistent rumors that Golden’s verbal commitment to Arizona is tenuous, he maintains that Tucson is where he will play his college ball.

“”I am 100 percent, for sure, going to be a Wildcat,”” Golden said. “”Arizona was loyal to me, and I am loyal to the people who are loyal to me. Arizona noticed me before anyone noticed me, before I was ranked, before anything. They noticed me, and that is really important to me.””

Golden also received offers from ASU, Fresno State, California, Oregon State, Minnesota and UCLA.

Golden – who along with Robinson is in www.rivals.com’s top-100 list for 2008 – has made continuous attempts to help Arizona recruit players that have shown interest in the program by calling and persuading them to become Wildcats.

He has been in contact with Robinson.

“”We have become pretty good friends, and we are always talking to each other,”” Golden said. “”It is cool, because he is an offensive player and I am a defensive player, so we get to go against each other in practice every day. It is really nice to be able to come down with a friend.””