“Before I die, I’d really like to see …”

Ryan Caseyassistant sports editor
    Ryan Casey
    assistant sports editor

Casey at the Pen

There I was, more than 2 miles above the surface of the Earth. It was the strangest of places to have an epiphany.

As I raced back toward Earth at 120 mph – yes, I had just intentionally jumped out of an airplane – it hit me: There was still a long list of things I wanted to do or see before I died, and I had just put that list in serious danger.

Safely back on the ground a few days later, I figured I should probably write the list down. Here’s what I can gather from those thoughts – at least the portion of that pertains to Wildcat athletics – because, hey, I didn’t think to bring a notepad with me 11,500 feet above the ground.

I’d like to see:

? The football team play in Los Angeles in January of 2007.

? Any ASU student try to make fun of any Wildcat for any reason after the bright mustard-yellow jerseys their baseball team wore on Sunday.

? The Wildcat women’s basketball team make a run to the 2007 Elite Eight. They deserve some good news.

? Fred Harvey, the head coach of track and field, recognized for what a fine job he’s done with his program. His men’s team was ranked No. 9 in the final poll of the indoor season provided by Trackwire – the Baseball America of track and field.

? The men’s basketball ticket student system adjusted once more, but this time fixed once and for all by revisiting the campout system. And not just once before the season, but before each and every game. You want to go to the game? Sleep under the stars. Students have not yet earned the right to simply show up to games with an all-season ticket – it was proven by the hundreds of seats near the rafters embarrassingly left empty all of last season. If students riot, it’s their fault. Yank all the tickets and give them to the alumni.

? A past, present or future Arizona Wildcat not robbed in a dunk contest.

? A team of former Wildcats in the NBA destroy a team of former Dukies – on ESPN. And then watch the network try to rationalize on-air how Duke was still the better team.

? Game 7 of the 2010 World Series: Former Wildcat and current Cleveland Indian Trevor Crowe steps to the plate to face former teammate Mark Melancon with the championship on the line. I’m not sure who I’d want to win, but I’m sure Andy Lopez – Wildcats baseball head coach – would be watching.

? Six thousand screaming fans show up to Sancet Stadium (home to Lopez’s Wildcats) every weekend.

? An all-red version of football’s uniforms. Including helmets. And socks. Maybe shoes. (OK, maybe not.)

? The Oregon Ducks waltz into Arizona Stadium sporting Adidas uniforms.

? Soon-to-be sophomore starting quarterback Willie Tuitama fly. (Because he can do everything else.)

? The Icecats made a school sport, join Division I, and then take annual stabs at the Frozen Four.

? All of Arizona’s student sections knowing more about the opposing teams than they do about themselves.

? Arizona Stadium expanded, enclosed and become the most exciting stadium the Pacific 10 Conference has to offer.

? Fifty thousand people at the Spring Game. I want the sheer number of fans to force security to open the upper deck.

? Basketball’s freshman forward Fendi Onobun suit up as a linebacker for Mike Stoops.

? Former Wildcat Salim Stoudamire drain 55 percent of his 3s in Duke’s J.J. Redick’s face while Redick goes 3-for-18.

? Lute Olson cut down the nets again 10 years later.

? A day in which Stoops and Olson switched jobs for a game, just to see Stoops work the basketball refs and Olson bring his up-tempo offense to the gridiron.

? Former Wildcat basketball recruit Ndudi Ebi and ask him what the hell he was thinking when he declared for the draft in 2003.

? A breakfast with Stoops and Bill Cowher, the intense head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I’d want to be down to the last piece of bacon and watch as each coach stares the other down to decide who gets it, then snatch it up and see what they do.

? An Olson-taught class. History 450, English 306, public administration 241. I don’t care. Anything. I’d take it.

Is that too much to ask?