Two new dorms officially dedicated over the weekend

Michelle+A.+Monroe+%2F+Daily+Wildcat%0AInterim+UA+President+Eugene+Sanders%2C+left%2C+cuts+the+ribbon+with+smaller+scizzors+as+former+UA+President+Peter+Likins+tries+to+cut+it+with+the+ceremonial+big+scizzors.+The+two+new+residence+halls+were+dedicated+during+separate+ceremonies+on+Saturday%2C+Sept.+24%2C+2011.+
Juni Noelle Nelson
Michelle A. Monroe / Daily Wildcat Interim UA President Eugene Sanders, left, cuts the ribbon with smaller scizzors as former UA President Peter Likins tries to cut it with the ceremonial big scizzors. The two new residence halls were dedicated during separate ceremonies on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011.

Árbol de la Vida Residence Hall and Likins Hall hosted their formal ribbon cutting ceremonies on Saturday, providing a close look at the features of the new residence halls to those in attendance.

One of the features of the two new dorms is their sustainability. Both new dorms are LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, certified. The new dorms include features such as electrical outlets that shut themselves off after a period of inactivity and a custom interactive website and kiosk that shows the hall’s energy and water consumption.

In addition, Árbol de la Vida has study rooms that double as classrooms for a more intimate classroom and learning experience.

The new dorms are the most recent installment at the UA and were built to help accommodate the rising population of incoming freshmen. Árbol de la Vida houses 719 students in five buildings: Alma, Bondad, Carino, Destino and Esperanza. Likins Hall, named after former UA President Peter Likins, houses 369 students.

Both dorms are meant to help foster growth, learning and a sense of community among students.

The ribbon cutting ceremony followed speeches from UA President Eugene Sander, Vice President of Student Affairs Melissa Vito, Honors College Dean Patricia MacCorquodale and Likins.

“Residence life is part of academic life,” Likins said. He said the new dorms, “make it possible for young people to learn about each other, from each other.”

He said he thinks it is important for the residence halls to be more than just a place that students sleep and store their things. He said he believes the residence halls should be “comfortable and a place to stimulate social interaction.”

It costs $7,450 to live in Árbol de la Vida or Likins Hall. One UA parent, Vittorio Luliano, said he loves the new dorms and that it is well worth the money to let his daughter live there.

Freshman Krystal Owens said what she likes most about the dorms is their feeling of “newness.”

“I would live here,” said UA parent Mark Rogers.

During the ceremony, Árbol de la Vida also displayed the winning photography from a study abroad competition sponsored by Snell & Wilmer Law Firm, according to David Scott Allen, director of devlopment for the UA Honors College.