Ka’Deem Carey enters the NFL Draft

Rebecca Marie Sasnett/ The Daily Wildcat UA Junior Ka’Deem Carey runs past the line of scrimmage during the Advocare V100 Bowl game against the BC Eagles Tuesday, Dec. 31 in Shreveport, La.

Arizona’s all-time career rushing leader, junior running back Ka’Deem Carey, announced Monday that he will forgo his final season of eligibility by entering the 2014 NFL draft.

Carey, a Tucson native and Canyon del Oro high school graduate was a two-time consensus All-American as well as the 2013 Pac-12 Conference Offensive Player of the Year.

“I’m excited for the next phase of my career and to enter the NFL Draft,” Carey said Monday in a press release. “I want to thank God, my family, [head coach Rich] Rodriguez, [co-offensive coordinator coach Calvin] Magee and all of my coaches for everything they’ve done for me.”

As a sophomore in 2012, Carey finished the season as the nation’s leading rusher in yards per game at 148.4 and total yards with 1,929. This past season, Carey finished second in rushing yards for a running back despite improving his yards per game to 157.1.

“Ka’Deem Carey was a great player for us,” Rodriguez said. “We wish him all the best as he pursues his professional career.”

Carey leaves Tucson owning or tying 26 school records, including the single-game and single season rushing record.

In the 2013 AdvoCare V100 Bowl, his final game as a Wildcat, Carey rushed for 169 yards and scored two touchdowns as Arizona defeated Boston College 42-19 for its second consecutive bowl win. It was his 16th-straight game with 100 or more rushing yards. It is the longest active streak in the FBS and the longest all-time streak in Pac-12 history.

“My time playing football for Arizona will always be very special to me,” Carey said, “and I want to thank the fans and the Tucson community for supporting me throughout my career.”

— Follow Luke Della @LukeDella