Police Beat: Sept. 10

‘Pepsi and corn syrup’ lead to MIP

University of Arizona Police Department officers observed what appeared to be an intoxicated woman sitting on a curb at 822 E. Fifth St. on Sept. 3 at 12:50 a.m. Officers made contact with the underage female who exhibited several indicators of intoxication, including bloodshot and watery eyes, slurred speech and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth and body. According to the woman, she had not been drinking anything other than Pepsi and corn syrup. Police cited the woman on charges of being a minor in possession and released her at the scene.

Traffic stop digs up bevy of warrants

UAPD officers on routine traffic patrol of Speedway Boulevard observed a white Ford Explorer traveling eastbound at a high speed on Sept. 3 at 1 a.m. Using radar, officers were able to confirm the vehicle’s speed at 57 mph in a 35 mph zone. Officers followed the vehicle and saw the vehicle drift out of its lane, causing another car to swerve. Officers activated their emergency signals and made contact with the driver and his passenger near Cherry Avenue. Officers asked the driver to provide his license, registration and proof of insurance, which he did. According to police, before they were able to ask any questions, the driver admitted that his license was suspended. Officers also noticed a strong odor of intoxicants inside of the vehicle. Police asked the driver to step out, at which point he started to become upset. Officers then asked the man to submit to field sobriety tests. The man then became so verbally abusive and agitated that officers were forced to restrain him for his own safety. A records check of the driver confirmed that his license was suspended and also revealed several outstanding warrants. The driver was eventually administered a breath test which revealed a blood alcohol content between .143 and .158. The man was cited on charges of DUI, extreme DUI, driving on a suspended license, and possession of an open container in a vehicle. He was transported to Pima County Jail and the vehicle was impounded for a mandatory 30-day period.

Passenger in the wrong vehicle at the wrong time

During a traffic stop on Sept. 3 at 1:02 a.m., officers were questioning the passenger of a vehicle driven by a man who was in police custody for driving under the influence. The man provided police with a driver’s license which identified him as the driver’s brother. A records check revealed that the man had an outstanding warrant for disorderly conduct issued by the Marana Police Department. According to police, the passenger also appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and officers observed an open can of Bud Light beer and an empty bottle of Captain Morgan rum in the passenger area of the vehicle. The man was not cited for possession of an open container in a vehicle, but was placed into custody and transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked for the outstanding warrant.

Employee calls police after discovering mystery powder on campus

UAPD officers met with a university employee at Old Main on Sept. 3 at 7:12 a.m. in reference to what the employee believed was a container of narcotics that had been discovered. According to the employee, she had been walking in the area of Park Avenue and University Boulevard when she noticed the container. She picked it up and immediately notified UAPD. According to police, the container was a small bag filled with a white, powdery substance with a total weight of 7.3 grams. Police have no leads as to who the owner of the bag is. The alleged narcotic was placed into police property until it can be properly disposed of.

Male student charged with shoplifting Sharpies

UAPD officers were dispatched to the UofA Bookstore on Sept. 3 at 12:15 p.m. in reference to a man in the custody of bookstore security. According to security, the man entered the store and walked to the clothing department, where he picked up a sweatshirt. He then walked to the supplies section, where he grabbed a handful of Sharpie markers and placed them into his backpack. The man then picked up several more items before he proceeded to the register area. At the register, the man paid for several items and then exited the store with the markers still in his backpack. Bookstore security was able to provide police with a copy of the surveillance video and a receipt for the items the man allegedly shoplifted. According to police, the man, identified as a student, admitted to leaving the store without paying for the markers. The man was cited on charges of shoplifting less than $1,000 and was released at the scene.

Is that a paint container in your pants, or … ?

Officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Sept. 3 at 7:52 p.m. in reference to a shoplifter in bookstore custody. Upon arrival, officers met with a bookstore employee who told them that the suspect in custody had placed two paint containers in his pants and then left the store before being detained and brought back for questioning. The employee told police that a copy of the surveillance video would be available the following day and provided police with a receipt for the value of the paint containers. According to police, the suspect was identified as a minor and a student at the university. The suspect admitted to placing the paint containers into his pants and leaving the store and claimed he did so because he had no money to pay for them. The suspect’s father was notified while the suspect was transported to the First Street UAPD station and placed into custody. Before being released to the custody of his father, the suspect was cited on charges of shoplifting less than $1,000.