Newly formed local band prepares for first concert

Newly formed local band  prepares for first concert

This Saturday marks the first-ever show for the Paper Poets, a newly-formed local band.

The band is based in Tucson, but its members — Jake McShea, Jamie Aiken, Tyler Rothe and Mike Smith — are all from different parts of Arizona, and when past bands didn’t work out, they found each other via the Internet based on their same musical aspirations.

McShea, Aiken, Smith and Rothe all share vocals. McShea, a college graduate, also plays guitar, while Aiken, Smith and Rothe, all students at the UA, play bass, drums and guitar, respectively. 

Paper Poets focuses on their lyrics more than their instrumentals, so when it came time to come up with a name, the group decided on “”Paper Poets.”” The quartet liked this new name and it meant something to all of them, so they stuck with it.

Their music is something that they can call their own. They can’t quite classify it. “”We don’t think we’re bubbly enough to be bubble pop, but we aren’t hardcore either so we’re kind of in between there,”” said Aiken.

“”I never wanted to be trapped inside of a genre,”” said guitarist Rothe. “”Versatility is a pivotal credential within this band.””

They’re influenced by everything from classic rock to modern metal. The juxtaposition of McShea’s love of folk music to Rothe’s love of “”harder stuff,”” cleverly merges to create this fresh sound.

As for their creative process, the “”Poets”” jam until they have something they like, they add the beat, and something raw forms. To come up with the melody, they scream into the mic or sing random phrases until they like what they hear.

In preparation for their first concert, the group has been practicing a lot to make sure they know everything and can confidently prove their worth to the crowd.

“”I think it’s going to be a lot bigger than any of us actually thought it was going to be,”” said drummer Smith. Eagerness and excitement seems to be the overwhelming theme of their last few days before the gig.

“”I’m excited to hopefully get over this cold so I can bestow my angelic and boyish voice for the masses of the Rock,”” Rothe said.

Paper Poets wants to see how far the group will take them (hopefully out of Tucson, they all agree), and they have high hopes of making it big and expanding their following. “”It’s not just a hobby, it’s more like a career — we’re hoping,”” Smith said.

For more information, or to check out their tunes, visit myspace.com/paperpoets.